'Windows Firewall Notifier' does not work when adding a rule to block an IP address

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by paulescobar, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulescobar

paulescobar Registered Member

I think I have discovered a bug...or perhaps this is intentional behaviour?
    I have only a basic understanding, so I will share with you all...

I installed 'Windows Firewall Notifier' (with default settings) on my 'Windows 7 Ultimate' system (in the actual "Administrator" account).

It worked perfectly, no complaints.

But then I needed to block a specific IP address.

To do this, I created a new rule in the "outbound rules" section. Basically, this rule specified that all programs should be banned from visiting a specific IP address.

I've successfully used such a rule before, without problems.

Unfortunately, 'Windows Firewall Notifier' stops functioning properly when such a "Block Specific IP" rule is enabled.

What happens is that the "pop-up" notification (allow/block confirmation) for NEW applications stops appearing. Only previously exempted applications are allowed internet access.

To be certain, I uninstalled 'Windows Firewall Notifier' and applied the IP blocking rule. Everything worked perfectly, and only those applications which attempted to access the banned IP were affected.

Is this a bug...or normal behaviour (that I have failed to grasp the logic of)?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  2. paulescobar

UPDATE: I contacted the developer with this concern, and he explained that it is a bug. There could be a fix for this in the next release, which will be released later this month (1.8.0).

3. mrtonyg

mrtonyg Registered Member

Did you create the rule from within WFN or straight in the Windows Firewall?

4. paulescobar

I created it straight in the Windows Firewall (outbound).

I'll accept any blame if what I'm doing is unorthodox, but I know no other way to ban specific IP's.

5. mrtonyg

mrtonyg Registered Member

I create all the manual rules within Windows firewall too and never had an issue with them...then again I don't block specific IPs.

Glad to see the developer is going to address this issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.