Windows Firewall Notifier cannot create rule for “System”

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Danio666, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Danio666

Danio666 Registered Member

Dear Firewall experts :)

I recently updated from win7 to win10 and installed the latest version (2.0.6636.29380) of Windows Firewall Notifier. I had an older version on win7 running without problems. Now, on win10, I frequently get a message that “System” wants to enter the internet. Unfortunately, I can only “Skip” the message, as both “Allow” and “Block” (permanently and temporarily) result the error message “The corresponding rule has not been created”. I guess the problem is that WFN cannot link “System” to a file (exe or so). In the security log tab of WFN “System” is shown, but I cannot get to a file using the “Locate” button. Also I cannot find a file named system.exe on my system (using locate32). I created a rule to let system.exe.config (the closest I could find) go online, but this did not help.

So currently I have to press “Skip” every 20 min or so, which is very annoying. Anyone an idea what to do ?

2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Sounds like an annoying problem. I believe that system.exe is the same as ntoskrnl.exe, perhaps you can try this.

3. Danio666

Thanks for your suggestion Rasheed,

I found three ntoskrnl.exe files on my system and created an exception rule for each of them. Unfortunately, I still get the same frequent “System” message. But was worth a try ;-)

4. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

System is not system.exe, it is just System in Windows Firewall, it is a keyword. If Windows Firewall Notifier uses the same Windows Firewall rules, then use the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security console (wf.msc) to create a rule for System. Or use Windows Firewall Control which can create a rule for System.

5. Danio666

Hi alexandud,

many thanks for your reply !! However, I am a bit stuck here. Using the wf.msc and “Outbouond Rules” I can create rules for Programs (needs an exe), Ports or Predefined (could not find anything matching System in the list), but I am not sure how to create a rule for system there. Same for the “Connection Security Rules” (options: Isolation, Authentication exemption, Server-to-server and Tunel).
    Similarly, in the WF controls (“allowed apps”) there is a long list, but I cannot find any entry related to system. I also wondered how the hierarchy between WF controls and wf.msc is, as I think I found some allowed entries in WF controls for programs that still had to ask via WF notified to enter the internet (if I remember right).
    Sorry for my ignorance, but can you advise me how exactly to create a rule for System with wf.msc ?

Thanks a lot,

Danio

6. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Create a new rule, the wizard opens. When asked to enter a path, use the "System" keyword (no quotes). Next, Next, Next.

upload_2018-10-16_8-18-25.png
    Windows Firewall has some predefined rules for System, just check the list. Some of them might not be enabled by default.

7. Danio666

Hi alexandud,

That’s it !!!!!!!!!

Thanks a lot. I did not think that I could just use Keywords instead of a path.

Thanks again...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.