Windows Firewall Control (WFC) by BiniSoft.org

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by alexandrud, May 20, 2013.

1. Stukalide

Stukalide Registered Member

In the alert popup... any chance that the keyboard left + right arrow keys could control paging through alerts? I'll often have 5-10+ alerts that need processing through, and it would be handy if one hand could move through alerts via left/right keys on the keyboard while the mouse hand delegates which actions to take.

2. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

I will add support for this in the next version.

3. kenw

kenw Registered Member

I am trying to download the Dell Support Assistant and the stupid program wants many ports opened. If I look at a rule it says any ports. Help !

The damn program must want to use a 100 ports, got tired after 20

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  4. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Use Low Filtering while using that software and then uninstall it.

5. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Apologies, OT, but that is truly an abominable program. Gives me nothing but trouble. Don't know why Dell makes such heavy weather of it. :mad:

6. aldist

aldist Registered Member

Does WFC protect against ARP-spoofing?

7. imdb

imdb Registered Member

8. Freki123

Freki123 Registered Member

Wait wasn't that the programm with the critical bugs?
    https://www.dell.com/support/articl...supportassist-client-multiple-vulnerabilities
    https://live.engadget.com/2019/05/03/supportassist-dell-vulnerability-windows/
    Personaly i would try to avaid all preinstalled bloat.

9. gnaggi

gnaggi Registered Member

Hi all,
    at first WFC is a great product and i'm using it for several years.
    After the last version it stops showing notifications after some time (about 2-4 hours) in case of programs want to connect to the internet.
    Restarting WFC solves this problem temporarily.
    Are there others with this problem?

10. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

- Do you encounter the same problem with the previous version?
    - Do you use another firewall controller?
    - Do you use any software that generates an insane number of connections? Check the Connections Log.
    - How many firewall rules do you have?
    - When the notifications stop, do you see new entries in Connections Log or just the notifications are not displayed anymore, while new blocked connections are still logged?
    - If you set again the notification level, does it solve the problem or just a restart? Do you restart the tray application or the Windows service? Or both?

11. gnaggi

gnaggi Registered Member

-> this problem was not evident in my previous used version (5.x.x don't know exactly)​
    -> I'm using no other firewall controller (except windows built in for overview)​
    -> Connections log looks normal​
    -> there are 88 rules​
    -> no I don't see new entries in Connections Log when notifications stop pop up. ​
    -> changing notification level to "Disabled" and back to "Display N.." brings no notifications back. Closing the tray with right mouse click and exit and restarting WFC brings back notifications until they hide again ...​

12. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Please use a previous version if that works for you. Unfortunately I can't investigate this as I am in the process of relocation to another country. In a few weeks I will have access again to my development machine and I could do some tests. Until then, please use an older version.

13. FrankBlack2

FrankBlack2 Registered Member

How can I create a rule for a program that may be in different directories. I have a few programs that when they update, the executable ends up in slightly different directories. Is there a way to just say if the executable name matches instead of the entire path?

14. aldist

aldist Registered Member

No, it is impossible.

15. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

If it is a Windows Store app, then create a rule from WFwAS for that application package instead of the program exe. This should work if the app gets updated. If it is a regular software, new path = new rule. This is how Windows Firewall works.

16. focus

focus Registered Member

My solution to this is to temporarily turn Windows firewall off (using WFC) with Secure Rules and Secure Profile on. Then run the update manually. When it is finished turn the firewall on. I only do this for trusted applications, like Windows store and MS office. I do not have any application doing automatic updates and those that demand to are blocked by WFC (like CCleaner). Some may view this as risky, but I monitor TCPview and watch outgoing connections.

17. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Tried installing the latest version of WFC and got the error in the attached screenshot. What would be the cause of this?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

18. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

In any case, I restored a backup, tried again and this time no error.

I'd still like to know what caused the above error.

19. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

I could not figure it out yet. I tried to reproduce the same scenario by removing some Windows registry keys and I managed to not be able to login anymore in any user account. I had to reinstall the operating system. My guess is that a certain Windows update breaks something, but I do not know what. The problem appears only for the signed WFC version. Digitally unsigned version 5.3.1.0. does not have this issue, only the newest versions which are digitally signed. I will investigate it.

20. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Hi alexandrud,

Strangely, after I restored from my backup and tried again I didn't have that error and WFC is happily running on this machine now.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  21. AmigaBoy

AmigaBoy Registered Member

Is there a way to restore the default Store (@) rules i.e. the ones that appear after installing Windows? (or a major update like 1809, 1903 etc.)

Restoring the "default rules" does not bring those back.

22. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

No. Those are not part of the default Windows Firewall rules. Those rules are created when Windows is installed during Windows apps setup. Or during a major Windows update. They are recreated on request when those specific apps are executed.

23. AmigaBoy

AmigaBoy Registered Member

Thanks. Yes, they can be recreated by resetting each Store app separately. But I see a lot more @ rules unrelated to Store apps for example Cortana, Shared Experiences, Lock and lots more I don't remember. Anyway, not really a problem. Just not sure if Windows 10 operates correctly without any of them.

24. Roberteyewhy

Roberteyewhy Registered Member

Having major problem all of a sudden. Both Malwarebytes and last version of yours Alex most times when I restart the laptop, it can't connect to the WFC service. Right click and only Exit and Get more information is highlighted. Everything else is grayed out. In the registry it is configured to start with Windows as well as in Task Manager. What do I do to fix this?

Restored an image with just Windows and Office then installed both versions of WFC and same thing. Restored another image with WFC (last version of yours Alex) installed and same thing. NEVER happen before. It just works.

Only way I can get WFC to work sometimes, is to wait on the logon screen.

Win 10 Pro x64 1809 (current). Same thing with 1903 though.

Thanks,
    Robert

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  25. Roberteyewhy

Roberteyewhy Registered Member

Figured out a work around for now. In Services snap in I stop Malwarebyte WFC then exit in the Systray WFC then restart MWFC service then in the Start menu click on MWFC and it works. Will test again. But, it's still a hassle..

Yep, same thing.

Robert

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.