Windows Firewall Control (WFC) by BiniSoft.org

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by alexandrud, May 20, 2013.

1. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

From Rules Panel you could always select the service name when defining a firewall rule. Only recently the notification dialog is able to recognize that service based on the Process ID. Before this, you had to look in Task Manager and check which service had that Process ID. Now, WFC does this automatically.
    Yes, there are still connections which are not under a specific service name. I usually ignore them. A block rule will always overwrite any allow rule because block rules have higher precedence than allow rules.
    These are too many feature requests. Probably none of them will see the daylight in the near future. Remember that WFC is now freeware and I am not in charge anymore.
    Too much complexity. After a few days of using your computer and creating svchost.exe rules for main usage scenarios, you can add svchost.exe in the notifications exceptions list and forget about it.

2. Freki123

Freki123 Registered Member

From what i understand WFC is "just" a gui for the windows firewall. So if i just use my paid 5.3.1.0 till some windows 10 update breaks it is there any real risk security wise?
    In the changelogs i found nothing that sounded so critical that i should update.

3. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

No.
    You can still continue using 5.3.1.0. if the change log does not convince you to install a newer version. There is no security risk.

4. Freki123

Freki123 Registered Member

Thanks for your kind and fast reply :)

5. ravenise

ravenise Registered Member

Could you please point me to the forum or website where I can ask for feature requests? Thanks.

This is what I was thinking also, ignoring straight away would be redundant; you would need whitelist first then ignore. It would still be nice to have a simple non invasive little check box (or something better) to ignore which adds an notification exception to the list for you; this would reduce complexity for users and make it a bit more user friendly, esp in environments where much whitelisting is necessary

6. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

You can request here new features. However, the chance that they will be implemented, is still very low.

Fro mthe notification dialog you can add a notification exception. You can define only simple strings as notifications exceptions. You can't add svchost.exe when it is triggered by a specific service.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.