Windows Firewall Control (WFC) by BiniSoft.org

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by alexandrud, May 20, 2013.

1. PrinceYann

PrinceYann Registered Member

Same confirmation here, but only a few rules are imported. Opening the file with a text editor I can see there are many more rules in it.

Also 5.3.1.0 here. Probably not WFC fault, but the message is misleading. Guess WFC does not make any check to ensure the import was really successful.

2. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

FWIW ~ test....deleted four @ rules + Import Full policy 1.5.2018.wfw = four @ rules are back.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  3. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Try to import the file from command prompt by using netsh. Does it work or gives you an error? Wfw is Microsoft own format. It imports all or nothing. Make sure you don't have any filters active in Rules Panel so that you might see a different order. Make sure your file is not corrupted. Does it work with other exported files? The exported file is from the same operating system?

4. Special

Special Registered Member

5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Is the error affecting the operation of WFC? I'm getting ready to install 1803 so it would be helpful to know. TIA.

6. askmark

askmark Registered Member

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  7. Special

Yup I am on the latest version of WFC, and even with this error everything still seems to be functioning properly, this did not happen prior to 1803.

8. askmark

askmark Registered Member

Curious. I will keep an eye on my logs and see if anything appears. Glad to hear it doesn't have any noticeable affect on WFC operationally.

9. Special

It's reproducible for me every time, but it requires a reboot if you've cleared the logs already, once your PC starts up and you go to check the WFC logs, that error will pop up in Event Viewer, and if you hit "Refresh list" a new error pops up, this happens every time until you use WFC to "Clear log" once you've done that no more errors in Event Viewer until the next reboot.

10. Alpengreis

Alpengreis Registered Member

@Special

Was the 1803 a clean install? If not, it COULD be help to de- and reinstall WFC.

11. Special

No I updated to 1803 from Update & Security > Check for updates...

Has Alexandrud gotten any emails about this sort of thing, I doesn't seem to hurt anything, but if there is a fix on my end I'd like to fix the error message from showing in the Event Viewer.

12. AmigaBoy

AmigaBoy Registered Member

Yes, I have those too. WFC 5.3.1.0 works normally. Clean 1803 install.

13. AmigaBoy

Some more details from the log:

Reading Security log failed.

Exception: System.ArgumentException: Index 31927 is out of bounds. at System.Diagnostics.EventLogInternal.GetEntryAt(Int32 index) at WindowsFirewallControl.Proxy.ProxyServer.GetLogConnections(Int32 logEntries, Int32 direction, Int32 eventId

14. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Do you use any filter in Connections Log? Which settings do you use, the default ones? I will some more testing on this build in the next weeks. Currently I have only a tablet with me with Windows 8.1 which works fine with WFC 5.3.1.0.

15. AmigaBoy

No filters, just default settings + Auto refresh and Blocked connections only.

16. Special

17. AmigaBoy

I reverted to 1709, way too many issues with 1803 (unrelated to WFC).

18. Special

No issues with 1803, seems rock solid so far.

19. focus

focus Registered Member

Same here with 5.0.2.0. Only unusual thing was that my WFC rules were resorted and network "IN" rules were re-enabled. Easy to fix.

20. tcarrbrion

tcarrbrion Registered Member

I have upgraded Windows to 1803 and I am having the same crash trying to read the log. This make it inconvenient to use as the log is empty. Clearing the log does appear to make it work again for a while.

21. Special

There is no "same" crash, if you are having crashes, then it's unique to you.

22. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

:)
    At the end of the next week I'll be home to my development machine and I will check the issues reported with Windows 10 version 1803. I am still on vacation and I can't test or fix anything on my Windows 8.1 tablet.

23. Special

My money is on MS changing a name of Servicexyz to serviceXYZ.

24. mi3mi2

mi3mi2 Registered Member

Another 1803 here and indeed the "Reading Security log failed" error is making the Connections Log empty.

25. Velocet

Velocet Registered Member

I know i said this before and really hope to not upset you but Please Please release 5.x or 4.x as Open Source Software so we can fix such things ourselfs.
    Don't you think it's possible to talk these guys and tell them to open source at least an older version?
    This would be so great since there is really no open source firewall control for Windows out there thats as usable as WFC.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.