Windows Firewall Control (WFC) by BiniSoft.org

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by alexandrud, May 20, 2013.

1. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

This is simply GREAT!
    Thank you for keeping WFC as standalone alive. I don't care it won't get new features as standalone.

2. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

Thank you very much for this.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  3. focus

focus Registered Member

:)

4. Deletedmessiah

Deletedmessiah Registered Member

Good news :thumb:

5. AmigaBoy

AmigaBoy Registered Member

Thank you for the update, it's a very nice gesture. Can't wait to know more about your new "July/Summer Control" software!

I've encountered no problems whatsoever with Secure Profile. Secure Rules is another story of course and it will likely cause issues with Windows 10 sooner or later. I turned it off and enabled UAC instead - I quite like the UI improvements of 5.3.

For example, there's a rule (I believe it's @{Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost...etc. long name here}) that if blocked you will get problems with some Windows pop-ups like the USB eject message and the one that appears with Win+P (monitor switching).

6. Alpengreis

Alpengreis Registered Member

Indeed good news, thank you very much, Alexandru! :thumb:

7. Alpengreis

For the user of the german language file:

The translation file is already sent to the developer and should be ready on binisoft.org very soon!

//

Für die Benutzer der deutschen Sprachdatei:

Die Übersetzungs-Datei ist bereits an den Entwickler gesendet und sollte sehr bald auf binisoft.org bereitstehen!

Alpengreis
    Maintainer of WFC DE-Translation file

8. anonskii

anonskii Registered Member

i can't enable notifications, it's asking to donate to become a registered user, but when i click on donate, it shows their no longer accepting donations, so how do i enable notifications?

9. AmigaBoy

AmigaBoy Registered Member

Answer is on page 164 (=you can't).

10. Victek

Victek Registered Member

As AmigaBoy said it is no longer possible to become a new registered user. See #4097:

Windows Firewall Control (WFC) by BiniSoft.org

11. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

When the new owner changes the website, what are the chances of the activation link being removed or kept?

12. Victek

Victek Registered Member

The Dev has stated that it will continue to be possible to activate registered copies.

13. Alpengreis

For translators:

Additionally, the string 062 were removed ...

14. aldist

aldist Registered Member

String 062 is available in v5.1.0.0 and is not available in v5.1.1.0, v5.3.0.0, v5.3.1.0.

15. Alpengreis

Even better to know it more exactly, thanks for pointing that out!

16. MrElectrifyer

MrElectrifyer Registered Member

Hey guys, what in the world happened to the Secure Rules permissions?
    After uninstalling an old WFC and "updating" to the latest, the WFC options for Secure Rule exceptions are gone. What gives?

17. Special

Special Registered Member

18. MrElectrifyer

MrElectrifyer Registered Member

19. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Please have patience. As promised, I will keep you updated about this when the time will come.

20. aldist

aldist Registered Member

I always save distributives of key versions of WFC, where there are global changes, and their language files wfcEN.lng for further analysis and comparison.

21. gorblimey

gorblimey Registered Member

I have 5.3.0.0 on WIn 7 HPx64 SP1, and so far I'm very happy. (I couldn't handle the pretty display of GlassWire, and that app doesn't have For All Users, you must install as Admin anyway, then you have to do a major Registry hack.)

Anyhow, one odd thing. In my router, all my devices have manually assigned IPs, locked by MAC.
    1. Spooler Subsystem App (\System32\spoolsrv.exe) is allowed out to the network printer, but that printer spends most of its tme switched off.
    2. NT Kernel & System (System) is also allowed out to 192.168.1.255, even though AFAIK there is nothing there. Actually, there is a "ghost" of an iPhone in the router at that address even though it never was set that high, but it's very shy and I can't pin it down to exterminate it. Up there is DHCP territory and while DHCP is active, I don't use it. The phone now lives in my manual setting list, it doesn't spend much time in this household. I've put the "Allow" simply to try to minimise the log size.

The Connections Log consistently shows spoolsrv and System as "Blocked" in spite of the rules, and I have several times reset those rules to make sure the "Allow" is actually set. WFC does not show me any alerts on these items.

My question is, would a switched-off device on an IP count as a "Block" for either WF or WFC?

22. JNicoll23

JNicoll23 Registered Member

> 2. NT Kernel & System (System) is also allowed out to 192.168.1.255, even though AFAIK there is nothing there.

As far as I understand these things, if your network has a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 then you cannot have a device at an ip address ending in 255. Traffic sent to 192.168.1.255 will be sent to every device on the network - it's called a "broadcast address". See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_address and: https://unix.stackexchange.com/ques...-end-in-255-and-not-be-a-broadcast-ip-address

23. gorblimey

gorblimey Registered Member

Thanks for that. I knew I should have read the IP Guide more thoroughly :oops: So I can cross that off the list of router puzzles.

Meanwhile, back in the WIndows Firewall...

24. PrinceYann

PrinceYann Registered Member

Has anyone had issue importing a full policy (.wfw)? Some of my files won't import correctly from WFC (shows no error, imports a few rules only) or from the Advanced Firewall (error 5). I suspect that the rules for modern apps are causing this issue, because a policy without any of them imported sucessfully, while others with these did not.

25. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

FWIW 2759.png 5.3.1.0

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.