Windows Firewall Control (WFC) by BiniSoft.org

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by alexandrud, May 20, 2013.

1. Cache

Cache Registered Member

Many thanks @alexandrud. I can confirm that all is fine now that I have updated to 5.0.1.19. - WFC is retaining the correct Notification Status after I exit Shadow mode.

2. Alpengreis

Alpengreis Registered Member

I find your suggestion principally good IF this could be implemented as an option (to not confuse "normal" users (too much)) ...

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  3. Circuit

Circuit Registered Member

Was having same problem (we thought it was ccleaner over clean problem).
    No problems now.

4. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

I will think about it.

5. Jakezilla

Jakezilla Registered Member

I just came across this application in my search for 2 things, #1 a better UI for firewall management than the built in Windows 10 interface, and #2 a way to control what is used when connected to a metered connection (hotspot). This application obviously accomplishes the first task, but what would be the best way to go about #2? My ethernet+DSL connection to my home has random periods of high latency that are not conducive to gaming so I have been using my phone's hotspot feature. My hotspot has a datacap though and I'm concerned about background processes needlessly using data while gaming. So I'd like to have one set of rules for normal use, but then a very restrictive set of rules for my hotspot connection that basically only allows my chat client and game. Is the best way to do this having two Policy Files (.wfw) and manually switching between them? Can I make my own profiles for the Profiles tab (that lists High, Medium, Low, No)? Is there a way to automatically have it switch based on the active connection (like set up my DSL as a private network and hotspot as a public network)? Thanks for your help!

6. Circuit

Circuit Registered Member

After a full cleaning with PrivaZer last couple versions when starting up, WFC is in "medium filtering" mode when "secure boot" is checked.
    After another restart back to normal (High filtering). Win7 64.

7. rs11

rs11 Registered Member

Latest version is stuck in low filtering

8. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

You can't define your own profiles. You don't have to use tow different policy files.
    1. Create a large set of firewall rules for Private location only. These will be applied when you are connected to your DSL connection. Make sure that you are in Private location when use this connection.
    2. Define a small set of firewall rules for Public location only. These will be applied when you are connected through your phone. Make sure that you are in Public location when you use your phone connection.

For a minimum set of firewall rules required for Internet connectivity, check the "WFC recommended rules" (see the user manual by pressing F1 in any WFC window).
    Secure Boot will automatically set High Filtering profile when the system shut down event is detected by the program. If wfc.exe is not running or if the shut down executes too abruptly, then WFC may fail in switching the profile. In this case, you must change the profile manually to High Filtering before restarting Windows.
    This may happen on your computer if another security software blocks Windows Firewall from filtering outbound connections. Check my answer number 3) from this post.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017 at 3:47 PM
  9. rs11

rs11 Registered Member

I'll turn everything else off and try again