Windows Firewall Control (WFC) by BiniSoft.org

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by alexandrud, May 20, 2013.

1. Roberteyewhy

Roberteyewhy Registered Member

Thanks, Alex for your integrity towards the constant refinement of WFC...just keeps getting better and better!

Kudos,
    Robert

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  2. Cheval

Cheval Registered Member

hello all!

I don't have WFC currently installed (I purchased it a couple of years back) at the moment because I fresh installed my box and want to make sure it can do what I want (pretty sure it can) before I put it on again.

I want all programs by default to have access to my local network and by default to be blocked and ask for permission when accessing the Internet. If, when the box pops up, I deny it Internet access I want it to just deny the access strictly for the Internet and leave the local network access alone.

I know someone several pages back was mentioning 'LocalSubnet' and alexandrud in post #2995 said "You must specify the excluded IP range like this: 1.1.1.1-192.168.0.0,192.168.0.255-255.255.255.255, and the allowed IP range would be 192.168.0.1-192.168.0.254." so I'm not sure if this comes into play or strictly 'LocalSubnet' and making sure the priorities are right... This gets confusing. :(

Also, is there an online version of the manual? I don't have it installed so can't look at the one that is with the program and I tried Google but couldn't find it unless my Google-fu is not up to par. I did find the FAQ and the closest I found was "Is it possible to allow LAN traffic when High Filtering profile is enabled ?" but I don't think that is what I am wanting.

Thanks all!

3. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

What you have read a few pages ago was valid for High Filtering profile and for those block rules. In your case:
    1. Create an allow rule which applies to all programs (no program specified), ANY protocol, all ports, and set the remote IP addresses to your local network. For example: 192.168.0.1-192.168.0.255.
    2. Switch WFC to Medium Filtering profile to enable outbound filtering in Windows Firewall.
    Done.

All local connections are allowed and if a program requires Internet access you will be notified if you enable the notifications system.

4. JimmySausage

JimmySausage Registered Member

I have a situation that arises from time to time at causes me a lot of grief. I'm using Windows Firewall Control 4.9.7.0 and the problem is the lack of HIGH NOTIFICATIONS like there was
    on older versions. Sometimes, like setting up printers, I know that WFC is blocking something that prevents printing. I know this because when I shut off the main Windows firewall everything works.
    Is there anyway to enable some hidden feature here. It can get pretty frustrating when I can't tell what's being blocked.
    Thanks for your help.

5. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

Display notifications contains the old High and Medium notification levels. Make sure that you don't have defined a notification exception for scvhost.exe and/or System. There is no hidden feature that you can activate, because the code works exactly the same. WFC is not blocking anything, Windows Firewall does based on the firewall rules that are defined. To see what was blocked, check the Connections Log. For a printer setup you may also want to take a look at inbound blocked connections, for which WFC never displayed notifications anyway.

6. Cheval

Cheval Registered Member

Thanks for your help! It's a lot easier than I thought. I did try and do this in the past and maybe I just messed something up, or maybe it was done correctly. I don't know. It just seemed like something made me think it wasn't set up/working how it should be.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  7. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Svchost is a legitimate service. Block it and you will no longer be able to access the Internet.

8. _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_ Registered Member

+1 :thumb: for sure not reccomended lol

9. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Hi, potential new WFC user here.

I've just watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wpsnf_pbGMM and WFC looks fairly easy to use and after a while should basically be set and forget, right? I'm not really interested in having to allow programs all the time, especially just because a browser has updated for example.

Am I also right that with a $10 donation I will be able to use WFC on all machines at my location for life? That sounds more than reasonable by the way. :thumb:

I'm not keen on open yet another account though.

Thanks.

10. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Is there a trial mode?

11. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi Krusty
    As far as I know you can download and run it in what is effectively trial mode/freeware mode but with some limititaions. Then if you would like to unlock the additional features you need to make a 'donation' to become a registered user. Registered use provides the following additional features:

Notifications System which provides notifications for outbound blocked connections. Two modes available:
    Display notifications - Display notifications for all outgoing connections that were blocked.
    Learning mode - Automatically allow digitally signed programs. Notifications are displayed only for unsigned programs.
    Disabled - Notifications are disabled.
    √ Create temporary rules which are automatically deleted when they expire or on program restart.

Take a look at the FAQ (https://www.binisoft.org/faq.php) for more information on this.

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick

12. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Hi Baldrick,

I guess that answers my question about a trial. I'm seriously interested in WFC but I think notifications would be almost essential, at least for a while. Sure, if I open or run a program and it doesn't connect I know I'd need to allow it. My concern is when programs run in the background while I'm not in attendance, such as Windows Update or other Windows processes, are they hard-wired in? Not all Windows processes have a valid signature, or so Norton likes to inform me from time to time. I'd hate to have to micro manage / baby sit this machine. I know it's only US$10 but if I find I don't like WFC then I've wasted that $10 - that's a couple of schooners! :D

13. Baldrick

Hi Krusty

Understand where you are coming from on this, and I had the same concerns but decided to chance it for one of my systems, and to be honest I have not been disappointed when using it on one of my systems...plus the developer, alexandrud, is super responsive and approachable.

Just to note that WFC is basically a Windows Firewall 'handler' as I call it, i.e, due to the limitations that MS has put on how 3rd party apps can play with the built in firewall, it front ends it whilst adding osme interesting bells & whistles, and in my opinion does a great job of it...well, worth a couple of schooners...in my view...:rolleyes:

Regards, Baldrick

14. imuade

imuade Registered Member

and i think it comes with predefined rules for essential windows processes (like windows updates)

15. Baldrick

Indeed! :thumb:

16. clubhouse1

clubhouse1 Registered Member

It doesn't (out of the box) block any essential windows system files including updates.

17. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Cool!

Thanks guys.

18. imuade

imuade Registered Member

WFC and TinyWall (which I currently use) are the best controller for Windows Firewall :thumb:

19. _CyberGhosT_

Take the leap Krusty, it's well worth it, I have used it for well over a year now and it's one
    of the first apps that gets installed on my OS. :thumb:
    Purple is so awesome lol
    WFC_Rocks.png

20. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Purple looks so nice. Could you pass the hex color please?

21. _CyberGhosT_

In the options menu,
    Red: 87
    Green: 0
    Blue: 116
    Hex: #570074 :thumb:

22. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

WFC only blocks or notifies for outbound access, right? So if I have nothing malicious on my machine I may not benefit from WFC. I mean, if something is already on my machine and is phoning out my machine is already compromised. Am I over thinking things again?

23. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Thank you.

24. Kob

Kob Registered Member

It can block inbound and outbound traffic, but notifies only on outbound.
    The outbound notification helps you not only when your machine is infected, but also by keeping your privacy when you run programs that send out telemetry or phone home.

25. _CyberGhosT_

You beat me to it, and I could not have put it better.
    +1 :thumb:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.