Windows Firewall And Advanced Sharing Settings In Win 10

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Graystoke, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Hello. I'm running Windows 10, version 1703, 64 bit. At the moment I'm running windows firewall along with the firewall in my u-verse modem. One of the reasons I'm using windows firewall is because in the Advanced Sharing Settings, "network discovery" and "file and printer sharing" are turned "off" in "private", "guest and public", and "all networks" sections. If I use a third party firewall, along with the hardware firewall, and turn off windows firewall, those settings are all "on" except in the "all networks" section.

Is my PC vulnerable with network discovery and file and printer sharing on in the "private" and "guest and public" section, and off in the "all networks" section?

P.S. The only reason I'm a little nervous about using windows firewall is because it doesn't pass leak tests.

2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Windows Firewall is secure. Are you running a broadband modem/router? Then your hardware firewall should already block
    unauthorized traffic at the source. WF provides additional gateway protection.

Easiest way to configure WF settings is with a GUI front-end like Windows Firewall Control or TinyWall.

3. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Thanks NormanF. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.