Windows exploitation in 2016

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Minimalist, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I haven't read the full report yet, but interesting stuff. So it seems that kernel mode and user mode bugs in the Windows OS are still a serious threat? The thing is, I managed to stay safe on an not fully patched Windows XP system for 8 years, and Win 8 and 10 are a lot more hardened against exploitation of kernel bugs. So that's why I have always been skeptical about the true risk involved.

3. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Yes I have similar experience. Usually those exploits are used in targeted attacks and not to compromise regular users.
    But still, it's a good decision form MS to implement new mitigation techniques in latest OS. Doing so they raise a bar for attackers and their exploit attacks.

4. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes exactly, and don't forget that it's also getting harder for hackers to hack regular users, because of browser sandboxes and ad-blockers. So it's not looking too good for exploit writers, but who knows they will also start to use Windows OS bugs against regular uses? But I don't think it's likely.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.