Windows Defender

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Toby75, Jul 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

ASpace, just checked with MS Autoruns. No services or drivers.

Checked with Hijackfree, and the HMP interface runs, but no driver.

Installed Hitman pro again, checked with MS Autoruns, and Hitman Pro (support) driver appears. :thumb: So obviously Windows Defender removed a part of Hitman Pro, although not stopping it from running, I assume, prevented it from 'removing' files/items.

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Well WD has prevented it from making any major changes to your system, so I guess that was a success.

3. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Hm... then I'm still unsure what would've happened in case of malware doing stuff on the system. :doubt: Infecting the MBR (wait... is that even monitored by WD!? :ninja:) - whatever. If it's like you say; permits it and then you can choose what should happen after that. I dunno... that just sounds very ineffective if this feature is obviously supposed to provide extra protection capabilities for advanced users.

4. elapsed

As far as I see, it doesn't permit anything, it pauses it.

5. raven211

Okay, hehe - much better that it suspends it at least. :D First I was like "WTF? That doesn't solve anything!" :D So, what about one of the most serious infections today, the MBR Rootkit? (At least I guess it's one of the most serious... :doubt:) Does any of its monitors see an action like modifying the MBR?

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

raven211, I don't believe WD protects against the MBR Rootkit; I could be wrong. Re: How Windows Defender identifies spyware and potentially unwanted software. I use GMER.

7. elapsed

I'm not 100% sure on the specifics behind MBR rootkits, but if it can't install the driver because of WD, how could it do any damage?

8. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Slightly off-topic, but if using Vista, and UAC is on, the following prevx blog page reports UAC prevents the MBR rootkit.

http://www.prevx.com/blog/75/Master-Boot-Record-Rootkit-is-here-and-ITW.html

Be interesting to see how WD would go.

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

elapsed, after reading MBR rootkit changes itself and strikes again:
    I don't think WD can handle this rootkit. Perhaps a future MSE will.

10. raven211

11. elapsed

Interesting, I'm still running WD alongside MSE and W FW, I'm curious to see if we will just use WD in windows 7 alongside MSE or they will introduce that aspect in a later MSE release and use MSE standalone. Although, I'm not too bothered about a HIPS, I feel sufficiently protected with MSE alone.

12. elapsed

Today I updated my Hosts file via HostsMan and it intercepted and blocked this action. I selected allow, but it's nice to see that being stopped.

13. raven211

Good stuff, elapsed - thanks for the information. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.