Windows Defender Updated!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Legendkiller, Mar 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Although AVG AS might lack real time heuristics, it has much more signatures. It scored 81 % in a test made by AV-Test.org.
    P2Ping is more secure than browsing. P2P apps usually don´t do remote code execution. Use a whitelist (trusted servers) and a blacklist (IPs of MPAA/RIAA) and don´t download executable content.

2. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

That's for On Demand Detection, and I can use the free version of AVG AS and SuperAntiSpyware to increase that percentage. I'm talking about prevention however, and it seems none of the Antispyware company's talk about how well their product "prevents" malware. Outside of HIPS programs that have had some testing done for RealTime detection, how many Antispyware programs have have been tested by a reputable source? I'm not knocking AVG AS, but even Ashampoo AS has Heuristics to detect unknown malware by behavior, and Windows Defender while it may not have the best On Demand Detection, not only uses Heuristics, but also the Microsoft SpyNet Community to help it increase it's RealTime "prevention" of unknown malware. I'm not saying it's better than AVG AS, Spyware Terminator, or some of the other paid programs, but then again how do we know for sure? Personally I don't really see a need for signature based AS programs using Firefox, but I do feel more secure with something that can detect any new or unknown malware in RealTime. That's why I'm beginning to believe that Windows Defender may be the way to go, and just use SAS, AVG AS, or A squared for On Demand.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi Duke, I believe all AS might be rather average in real time protection. I will suggest to stick with ur AV for real time signature based spyware detection and to use a HIPS for the real "real time" Spyware protection. If u still insist I guess BOClean might be best option( though I never used it but it is praised a lot) or AVG antipsyware or SAS Pro. All others might be heavy or rather poor. Windows defender- well I am sure it is not worth to be put on my system except for testing.

That,s all.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  4. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Yeah I agree aigle. I am currently using Spyware Terminator which is likely to be enough protection for my needs. However do you think adding Comodo Pro FW would be of any help for added RealTime Protection because of its leak test capabilities?

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Depend upon ur setup. I am not sure about ST HIPS but any goood HIPS will control most or all of leak tests. I am really not knowledgeable in FW matters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.