Windows Defender on Windows 7

Discussion in 'polls' started by mattdocs12345, Apr 17, 2013.

?

Is Windows Defender enabled on your security set up?

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    16.9%
  2. No

52 vote(s)
    80.0%
  3. I don't use any definition based security

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. mechBgon

mechBgon Registered Member

Tangentially: after installing the Service Packs on Vista, you can run compcln.exe from an elevated command prompt to ditch a bunch of uninstall files and free up some disk space.

Regarding the topic of scanning with one scanner after another, and seeing which one finds stuff, the message I would take home from it is the value of prevention, prevention, prevention. Given an infected system, I think most of us here find a certain fascination in prodding the rotting meat to watch the maggots squirm, but at the end of the day, my fix is "nuke from orbit using DBAN, then do a fresh installation and SECURE IT THIS TIME."

2. Eagle Creek

Eagle Creek Global Moderator

It is... But.... I've always doubted its use.
    I do not disable it anymore because I don't see any increase in performance, and I figure an extra layer of defense won't hurt, but to be honest.. I don't know :doubt: .

3. Louis 14

Louis 14 Registered Member

I disable Windows Defender first thing when I install Windows 7 or 8

4. Eagle Creek

Eagle Creek Global Moderator

Can you explain why?

As said, I'm not a huge fan of Defender, but I haven't noticed any drop in performance either.

5. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I actually like Windows Defender, but I never use it, because for me, it does cause slow downs from time to time, and that's reason enough for me to ditch any security software.

Of course depending on your hardware and what software you have installed your experience will vary greatly I'm sure. For example I was experiencing 96% CPU use at one point from WSA - and this is definitely not typical behaviour.

6. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Exactly my experience. It is a good compromise having good scanners on demand (Avira and HitmanPro) and WD on with Windows 8. I also think in combination with IE 10 SmartScreen it should provide a basic browsing protection, although I use Chrome most of the time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.