Windows Defender, Microsoft Safety Scanner & AVIRA

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by gonwk, Sep 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gonwk

gonwk Registered Member

Hi folks,

I wonder if someone can shed some light on the following ...

I used to be able to run AVIRA Free 10.0.0.650 right along with Windows Defender just fine until Avira came up with this New Version 10.2.0.700.

Now when I run Avira Scans ... at the end of the Scan it tells me that I must Reboot and after the reboot the scan starts sutomatically again ... it never Registers or remembers a complete scan cycle ... and is not indicated on the Overview page.

So, I have disabled the Windows Defender.

When looking at the Windows Defender Definitions Update page, it shows that Microsoft is catching whole new Virus and Malwares on a daily basis ... and Windows Defender definition database really is "up-to-date". So ...

Q1: Is Microsoft Safety Scanner Definitons list same as Microsoft Windows Defender list?
    The reason I am asking this is because once you disable the Defender ... you can't use the On-Demand Scans with it.

Q2: Does anyone know where I can find the Microsoft Safety Scanner Definitons LOG/Changes?

Thanks,

G! :)

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Global Moderator

gonwk, as this sevenforums.com Post indicates, Microsoft Safety Scanner uses the same definitions listed here (change logs posted there as well).

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Well Avira has been pretty consistent about disabling Defender for some time now so you've been lucky up till now. You might try using MBAM on demand as a substitute. I know that wasn't your question but it may help.

4. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Be informed that MS safety scanner removes threat automatically. So if there is any unwanted FP, you are ......:doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.