Windows Defender Memory Usage

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by adam777, Apr 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adam777

adam777 Registered Member

Windows Defender

Hello All :)
    Having read a new build of windows defender has been released i thought i might give it a shot (not that i've tried the old build, but...).
    But prior to installing it, i guess i might as well ask everyone who has it already installed (especially the new build), what is it memory usage (i believe it has 2 processes)?
    Thanks in advance, Adam.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2006
  2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I never liked MSAS and Windows Defender doesn't fit in my plans for the future either. I don't have any good reason for this, but I don't like scanners in general and MSAS was never a big help for me.
    I use Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D, because they still remove the most 'popular' adware/spywares. (sorry for the word 'popular', I couldn't find a better one).
    I use ZeroSpyware, because it's an interesting AS scanner.
    I use SUPERAntiSpyware, because the author seems to make an extra effort to remove the more sophisticated spywares.

3. Stallcup

Stallcup Registered Member

Just recently upgraded from Defender Beta 1 to Defender Beta 2. Task Manager shows the following (numbers are rounded and estimated averages are shown if usage was varying moderately):

Process: MsMpEng.exe

8.1MB Memory usage during real time protection (background)
    8.8MB Memory usage during scanning

11.2MB Virtual memory during real time protection (background)
    11.4MB Virtual memory during scanning

Process: MSASCui.exe

4.5MB Memory usage during real time protection (background)
    5.2MB Memory usage during scanning

9.2MB Virtual Memory during real time protection (background)
    9.4MB Virtual Memory during scanning

4. adam777

adam777 Registered Member

You've been a great help, Stallcup, Thanks :)

* THE BIG EDIT *
    (which basically summarize all previous 4 edits).
    After some thinking, i've decided to put this product in the "scan-on-demand" group.
    Problem is, it insist on running its service even if real-time protection is disabled.
    So, my first instinct was to uninstall it (stupid instincts...).
    However, after some more thinking i realized i could just set it service to disabled and start it whenever i want to perform a scan, so i've reinstalled it.
    So at the moment, whenever i need to perform a scan i just start the "Windows Defender" and "Automtic Updates" (for updates, duh) services and disable them upon scan finish.
    A bit clumsy, but gets the work done!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.