Windows Defender Is Becoming the Powerful Antivirus That Windows 10 Needs

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Secondmineboy, Jan 30, 2016.

1. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

As mine is still on with a 3rd party security suite I would assume that to be the case.

2. SeriousHoax

SeriousHoax Registered Member

As already mentioned by @Azure Phoenix @xxJackxx, the Exploit settings, SmartScreen, etc. are part of Windows security which are not tied to Microsoft Defender AV. They work with any third-party AVs.

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Another really good reason to switch to UNIX. :thumb:

4. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

5. xxJackxx

6. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Last edited: Apr 22, 2023
  7. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Since having to revert to Win10, I'm now using, WD/MBAM lifetime license, I also have Bitdefender Total. Is the current combo WD/MBAM+broser guard? Bitdefender scores well in testing, is it worth changing?
    For now, I'm good!

8. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

it was never worth installing.

9. xxJackxx

Like they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

10. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Ok! 'Mr.Gates/MBAM' resident defense & is under review. First timer here for that combo, previously tried many diff AV suites

11. Brummelchen

MBAM is not that good as defender, and bitdefender sucks firefox regularly.
    seems that you do not trust BD at all that you need MBAM for your well sleep.
    this makes BD sufficient and MBAM also. the only conclusion.

this is about windows defender and not the bitdefender, nothing in common.
    defender real time is turned off with another antivirus, only a second opinion as MBAM.

12. Rico

Rico Registered Member

I'm not comparing MBAM to WD, it's for me using this combo, due to special circumstances. All the products are licensed & MBAM lifetime. So the Q was/is /should have been:

Comparatively speaking is the couple WD/MBAM an equal to BD. Fyi I've used BD, and it's an excellent AV (see ratings AV Comp.. etc). Never been bitten using any AV, or earlier Allacart, enhancements to AV.
    If the current combo in the opinion of this thread, competitor to BD. Then no worry & free.

13. Brummelchen

you dont need anything else beside defender. it is same good and bad as any other paid antivirus, in fact it's better than any free antivirus. if you want an a vs b comparison, take your chance and trial it out yourself.

14. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

You can get more protection with Microsoft Defender For Business.

Just be aware there's currently no endpoint desktop client and you will have to run a script to onboard your device.

15. Rico

Rico Registered Member

meanwhile, people other than WD threads say? It's like arguing Ford vs Chevy, however, you choose to ride.
    In today's 'overkill,' AV's shine in some areas & is lacking in other areas, see test parameters for AV testing.
    One way to 'compliment' is combining a 2nd opinion, or complimentary app. to augment.

Installed WD lasted more than 10 seconds, + lifetime MBAM, they do play nice. Free! This is a 'trial' for me! I can say adios to 'WD' & MBAM 2nd opinion, BD at the helm! in seconds!

16. plat

plat Registered Member

This is it in a nutshell. I see people supplementing, esp. the free versions, third parties as well as Defender, all the time. I mean, a lot of the supplementary software needs a subscription but I'd rather pay for a "small" but mighty third party w/tiny footprint than a blob of bloat.

Defender has behaved so well on here, it's nice and quiet and a lot of stuff in Windows Security is enabled without issue.

But you can have the best security measures in place but be unable to defend against your financial institution getting hacked. Happened to my bank a couple of weeks ago in the MOVEIt hack. No problems for now. :cautious:

17. Brummelchen

in case a) you are an enterprise and b) you are registered as enterprise and use VLK or similar, or c) student. not available for regular home users!

18. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Agreed, Enterprise is out of reach for most home users. With good, common sense habits, and just a basic backup/restore plan, Defender is enough, especially if it's hardened with something like ConfigureDefender or Hard_Configurator.

19. Brummelchen

ofc i would like to have defender endpoint protection installed - sorry, NOT you. damn. ^^

i know the eset admin remote and i liked it, at least i dropped eset and so the remote was no longer needed.
    btw both tools are written in autoit. SC is available (see H_C SC zip file)

20. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

https://www.ghacks.net/2023/07/11/a...-annoying-microsoft-defender-antivirus-issue/

21. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

22. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

The backend is Microsoft 365. You wonder if its worth the $3 a month although onboarding your device through the command line is fast.

23. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

24. xxJackxx

25. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I just wanted to say that yesterday Win Defender got on my nerves again. I reinstalled Vivaldi and when importing my bookmarks file (3000+ bookmarks) it took quite a while because of WD scanning the file, why would it do this? To check for malicious links or what? It's seriously so dumb, it shouldn't be scanning a local HTML file in my view.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.