Windows Defender Is Becoming the Powerful Antivirus That Windows 10 Needs

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Secondmineboy, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

Malware cant register as an antivirus provider, it would need a WHCP signing certificate driver to do so along with some other requirements (ELAM driver); this theoretical vector is almost impossible to occur in real life.

2. GrDukeMalden

GrDukeMalden Registered Member

So I guess to really lock it down you'd need to activate core isolation to prevent unknown drivers from ever loading.

3. hawki

hawki Registered Member

"Intel CPU Performance Takes a Big Hit Due to Windows Defender Bug...

If you're running Windows 10 or Windows 11 on an Intel processor, chances are your performance is being negatively impacted by a Windows Defender bug...

...Defender will 'randomly start using all seven hardware performance counters provided by Intel Core processors.' This causes excessive CPU time to be grabbed by Defender, which can equate to a significant performance drop for your system. The example Glynn gives is a 'Core i9-10850K running at 5.00 GHz all-core loses 1000 Cinebench points (or 6%).'...

The problem is solely caused by Windows Defender...

...a third-party fix is available if you don't mind installing some software. TPU's ThrottleStop v9.5(Opens in a new window) includes a feature you'll find in "Options" called "Windows Defender Boost."..."

https://www.pcmag.com/news/intel-cpu-performance-takes-a-big-hit-due-to-windows-defender-bug

4. Hiltihome

Hiltihome Registered Member

@hawki :
    6% is not a big hit, I say.
    Is there any evidence, that this even happen's in normal use, other than bench marking?

5. GrDukeMalden

I haven't noticed any drop in performance when I decide to play with MSD. Then again, I use defender UI to limit the CPU usage for scanning down to 10%

6. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

No performance hit on my five computers. In fact, Defender is one of the least restrictive of all 11 AVs I have used and tested.

7. GrDukeMalden

What's this I keep hearing about MS Defender costing money in the future?

8. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

It won't for Windows users.
    https://au.pcmag.com/antivirus/94646/wtf-do-i-have-to-pay-for-microsofts-defender-antivirus-now

9. Spartan

Spartan Registered Member

10. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

11. plat

plat Registered Member

Yeah, not paying for Defender. I already paid for it when I bought my mainboard. I "love" how these articles with their potentially panic-inducing titles and whose titles can be answered in one word (yes or no) take like paragraphs to get to the meat and potatoes.

But anyway, yes, thanks for the reassurance.

12. xxJackxx

Yep, clickbait pays the bills. I bet most folks would not pay for Defender so Microsoft can't go back now. What could they do? Leave you unprotected? The backlash from doing so would be massive. I like the free option for folks that can't or won't pay. But if it were paid I would not use it. Fortunately it was verified that this is not the case.

13. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

14. xxJackxx

15. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

As an ordinary user I think MS Defender in its current iteration is more than enough, but even if I were (say) a celebrity, I wouldn't install a paid AV as the degree of protection would be the same as Defender. If I had to increase the level of protection I would probably add other tools dealing with specific threats... I can't understand how one can write an article on computer security without mentioning backup programs which in my opinion are the mothers of all security.

16. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

The so-called experts are usually not that expert. I have used computers since 1970 (yes before PCs) and the current state of affairs as to opinions, etc. regarding computer security are not very helpful. I have said in this forum many times that the ultimate security is a daily image backup. I use Defender, but I could use any of them and for me, they are almost inconsequential. Backup-backup and more backup.

17. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Read the last paragraph again, or for the first time.
    Acadia

18. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

'Robust data backups' is not like backing up your system with a backup program, I would never comment an article without reading it...

19. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Obviously you did not follow the embedded link, or is that too much to ask?
    Acadia

20. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I read the article of PCWorld. Three personal considerations:

- the author too agrees that someone may want an extra protection ( may be, I add, if or because he is experienced ).

- I'm not sure that Windows Defender also using all his features, is strong as an HIPS ( it's not a provocation ! ).

- as second scan, why not think also at Emsisoft ?

21. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Obviously I find your attitude finicky and rude, when I read articles of any kind it is my prerogative to check links embedded according to context, his text reads ‘robust data backups’ which I didn’t deem necessary to check as data backups have no interest to me and if it links to real system backups he should have reworded it accordingly.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
  22. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Reckon you're right, all apologies.
    Acadia

23. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I have to say that sometimes I do get to see WD taking up CPU time for no good reason. Perhaps my system is somewhat impacted by this, but I guess I will need to check out those tools to I see if it makes any difference.

And as mentioned in another thread, I do find it weird that when I open folders with many .mp4 files which are sorted by date, there is this small but annoying 2 second delay, never had this on Win 8.1 which didn't have Win Defender enabled. Because obviously it was crap.

24. GrDukeMalden

Has anyone seen those videos cruelsister1 made about MS Defender failing to stop magniber?

CS did a test with MS Defender with configure defender on MAX. They restarted the VM and ran the test and MSD failed to stop it. That was a month ago.

Earlier today, they did the test again with the same sample of magniber from a month ago. And MSD with configure defender on MAX failed to stop a month-old sample of magniber.

25. Bertazzoni

Bertazzoni Registered Member

Yes, and the sky is falling and the world is ending! :argh::argh::argh:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.