Windows Defender Is Becoming the Powerful Antivirus That Windows 10 Needs

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Secondmineboy, Jan 30, 2016.

1. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

If I may, why in opinion is not ATP offered as a default integrated portion for MD home user. Could it be the freebie syndrome? Since Micro already assumes they are with liberty for users to enjoy the upgrade free of charge.

2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Correct, WD ATP is not for consumers. But they clearly mention that it works together with Win Def AV. But the question is, do we also get the same detection capabilities for consumer PC's? So I'm guessing that cloud protection for home user is done with the help of WD ATP? Because clearly, when cloud protection is disabled, Win Def AV is missing lots of malware, so how advanced is the locally based behavior blocking engine? Let me answer that, it's clearly crap, so it's very confusing.

Yes exactly, if WD ATP really is this good in detecting malware behavior, why not bring parts of it to home user PC's. Win Def AV should be able to spot malicious behavior even after malware is already running, but it needs the cloud for the final verdict. Why not make more advanced features available for power users.

3. Bertazzoni

Bertazzoni Registered Member

MD benefits from WD ATP but remains dependent on the cloud. Here is a good example of how the two work together https://malwaretips.com/threads/configuredefender-utility-for-windows-10.79039/page-56#post-902093
    And here are more examples and descriptions of how Defender works:
    https://malwaretips.com/threads/geminis3s-security-config-2020.97799/page-4#post-886218
    https://malwaretips.com/threads/how-the-hell-wd-works-on-windows-home-pro.95146/page-3#post-900437
    https://malwaretips.com/threads/configuredefender-utility-for-windows-10.79039/page-37#post-837218
    https://malwaretips.com/threads/how-the-hell-wd-works-on-windows-home-pro.95146/#post-835847
    And there are others which you are free to research.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  4. Rasheed187

OK thanks, so I'm not the only one who got confused. So it seems that with the help of the cloud, WD is able to block malware based on their behavior, so without any known signature. But it's not a true behavior blocker in the sense of HMPA and SpyShelter. This quote is from one of the links that you posted:

5. guest

guest Guest

Defender Control 2.0 (September 13, 2021)
    Website

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Sure wish since Micro is going to call it quits on Windows 8 in 2023 that they would upgrade the WD with some of the more sophisticated modules of Windows 10 ATP. I know that it doesn't quite seem prudent but still it would keep that version relatively Micro made less vulnerable since malware addicts focus mostly on the latest releases to play their disruption toys on. A relative note in defense of that would be the WannaCry ransomware that they patched all the way back to XP.

7. Bertazzoni

Bertazzoni Registered Member

Don't hold your breath. Not going to happen. Plus, they're too busy making a mess of W11. :D

8. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Agreed. If they did do such a thing they would probably have to charge for it. This thread would probably go completely dead if they started charging for Defender. :argh:

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Yeah wishful thinking in totality.

Shame that Micro has the monopoly it does on the O/S market the way they do. Strong competition if allowed would probably sink Micro in the O/S market and they have government support until all those military systems get p0wned

10. Rasheed187

Yes, it's still a bit unclear to me if we get the best protection when it comes to behavior blocking on home user PC's. I'm hoping that malware analyis in the cloud is done via Win Def ATP, this would mean that even on home user PC's they would block advanced malware like Astaroth, see link. Take note of all the stuff that is blocked by Win Defender's behavior monitoring engine.

https://www.microsoft.com/security/...-next-gen-protection-exposes-astaroth-attack/

LOL, I'm watching WarGames (1983) a movie that I hadn't seen in 20 years or so, all thanks to Prime Video. So funny to see those old computers from the 80's again. :p

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086567/

11. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Reference noted! Thanks @Rasheed187

12. anon

anon Registered Member

DefenderUI: manage Microsoft Defender with this profile-based third-party app
    https://www.ghacks.net/2021/10/27/d...nder-with-this-profile-based-third-party-app/

13. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

14. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

How well does Configuredefender work with Windows 11? Just did a clean install.

15. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey Registered Member

16. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

17. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey Registered Member

That's the recommended level :thumb:

18. AMDGamer2016

AMDGamer2016 Registered Member

Will Setting Defender to High Setting with ConfigureDefender slow down like file transfers to external drives while doing system backups, or in General system usage, or during PC gaming

Running Windows 11 Pro on my Intel 10700, 16gb of ram, 500gb Nvme boot drive, 1tb Game SSD, and 4TB storage drive
    usually backup to usb 3.0 8tb seagate external

19. xxJackxx

Probably. You could make an exclusion for your backup software.

20. AMDGamer2016

Ok can do the exclusion if does slow it down, just will have to see how it goes from there

21. mnosteele

mnosteele Registered Member

For general use and gaming it shouldn't slow anything down, I set it to "High" for every client and my kids who are gamers and have never seen any slow downs or issues.

22. AMDGamer2016

Well didn't feel any slow downs in games tried so far, still hoping backup software isn't too slow next time i do that task, then think i'm fine hopefully

23. xxJackxx

You could try it both ways. If it makes no difference you are good. If not it won't hurt to create an exclusion. If your backup software is infected you're already hosed.

24. AMDGamer2016

Well shouldn't be infected, though did a full scan just in case after activating High Setting, All Clean, will try the backup software later shortly here--soon as another task finishes up

25. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Curious how many here feel comfortable by just using WD on their machines for protection? Home use application only. Thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.