Windows Defender Is Becoming the Powerful Antivirus That Windows 10 Needs

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Secondmineboy, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Secondmineboy

Secondmineboy Registered Member

2. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Well I'm still on Win7 and it's been my experience that WD has too many FPs!

3. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

Still would never use it much better security suites out there then windows crapfender.

4. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Defender is a good name, since all of the people that like it have to spend their time defending it. I have group policy set up on Windows 10 to make sure it never runs. I'd rather use something more effective and more efficient. I'd don't mind paying someone for their hard work of releasing regular updates either. Yes, good for them and the people that use it but it's still not a compelling choice for me.

5. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

I disagree with the "once bad, always bad" mentality....I'm open, so will watch them. I have never seen them as known for FP's.....that was always the one category they won.

6. Secondmineboy

They got some more FPs recently, BUT better protection too, they will reduce FPs over time :)

7. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I did a clean install 2 days ago, WD was taking 50% CPU. WD was badly designed, so it always will be bad in my book. A good MS product, ehm what?!

8. haakon

haakon Guest

Defender is just one item in the Windows 10 anti-mix. When used with SmartScreen, UAC and Windows Firewall, IMHO the protection rivals any other FREE product within the construct of a mainstream user base.

For my Windows 7 and 8 family and acquaintances who ignored my don't-do-that rants and went with (or got tricked into) the free-10 upgrade, I got them to install MBAE free.

And for those I still like, :) I set up a Task to check for Defender updates every 4 hours.

9. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

well I disagree with a bunch of you. In win 10 the windows defender is very powerful as my tests showed it did much better then a lot of other suites and AVs. Its so-far solid in protection, but its only downfall and weakness is that it does not scan compressed files (zip, rar, etc..). Also its signature is out there with the most. I think what made it a powerful av is that it scans in cloud and also some type of behavior detector.

Anyway on win 10 its a much powerful security program then on other windows. Also combines with win 10 owns smartscreen protection for the and also edge smartscreen detection would make a very solid security app in my opinion. Only if compress file scanning would be added would make it excellent.

10. Secondmineboy

I guess Microsoft has more in stock for Defender and other security features of Windows 10 :)

11. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

12. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Yes definitely. It's good news for their users and it will also raise the bar for other AV vendors so they will have to improve their products also.

13. Martin_C

Martin_C Registered Member

I think that what we are witnessing currently and what we have been witnessing for a long time now, are the best thing that could happen to Windows.

It's every OS's ultimate goal to be capable of protecting itself.

Without fancy worded aftermarket bolt-on solutions or third-party snake oil, that breaks more in your OS on a daily basis than malware would ever do.

Security done right, are security built right into the core of the OS.

And Microsoft are now beginning to see the rewards of the many security improvements they have implemented.

Like you, I'm also sure Microsoft will continue to tighten security in Windows 10.

I like what they have done so far. I like it a lot.

14. ance

ance formerly: fmon

No slowdowns, no ads, no false positives, no licence/account crap - I really like it so far. :geek:

15. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

But of course, they've just started to tap on ways to control your machine(s) and hence yourself.

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

But of course this thread is about Defender, and not paranoia.... ;)

17. coolcfan

coolcfan Registered Member

The better a baseline for security software tests becomes, the better those security softwares will be.

Or, will they?

18. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

In theory, yes. Because they need to differentiate from the (free) baseline. Otherwise people will just run the baseline app instead and not even bother purchasing a paid product from competition. In practice, some are already doing that and some others are still catching up on that...

19. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

It will make other AVs better...;)

20. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Indirectly, yes.

21. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

No slowdowns? Watch this thing with a good disk i/o monitoring program sometime and see if you still feel that way.

22. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Very few paid solutions consistently outperform Windows Defender on a prevalence basis.
    My only concern is the recent increase in FPs. Hopefully, that gets sorted out.

23. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

I've had no problems with it. In other peoples computers I've worked on, I've seen too many systems that come to me with a long expired AV, often the one the manufacturer put in with a 3 month trial and I always replace it with MSE in older systems. It is better to have an AV that works and is updated than a long expired one. I've found both MSE in older Windows versions and Windows Defender in 8 and 10 to be more than acceptable. I don't regard signature based virus detection to be the most important security approach by any means but having one is definitely better in any Windows system. I haven't had any real performance issues. The high CPU usage occurs when Windows Defender or MSE is checking for updates. This also happens with Windows update. It only lasts a few minutes and otherwise Defender is light on the system.

Windows 10 with Defender and Applocker enabled can be made pretty secure. I've added Emet and some ACL and group policy tweaks to that and use a limited account and that is my whole Windows 10 security setup. No need to add any 3rd party products.

24. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Where in Windows 10 pro is Applocker?

I asked this also in here:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thre...-to-keep-it-secure-running-well.383268/page-2
    in post #30, but got no response :(

25. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.