"Windows could not start" after merging partitions

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by tomkoss, Dec 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomkoss

tomkoss Registered Member

After using TI to create an image of my HD on an external HD, I was trying to use Disk Director to partition my drive. I disabled System Recovery on all drives in Windows XP (didn't think I'd need it w/ an image of my entire system). Before re-sizing my C: drive so I could separate the OS and programs from my data, I used "Merge" for my D: (former recovery drive) with C: Everything went well, and the system rebooted and came up with:

"Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware. Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for add'l information."

I don't have a Windows start disk since Xp came preloaded. I used the startup CD I made when using True Image and restored the image of my system from the external drive. Message says that the operation was successful, but then I get the same message as above when it tries to boot up. Help!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2006
  2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

You are going to need to get hold of an XP CD, so that you can get into at least the console.

You may be able to check out the boot.ini file using a BartPE CD as this can get you to a C:\ prompt.

Colin

3. tomkoss

Sorry, but I don't have an Xp CD. What is a BartPE CD, and how would I get one? Thanks for your assistance!

4. tomkoss

Think I've got a BartPE CD from the IT folks in my office. I'm not at home w/ my computer now, but what will I need to do/change if I can get to the C:\?
    When I used the Recovery Disk I made with Acronis TI to get into the recovery mode, I was able to successfully restore the images I had saved to my external HD. I restored both the entire C: drive and the other drive showing was the MBR. Both said they were successful, then I get the error message above as Windows is attempting to boot.

5. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

If you just want to view or edit the boot.ini file you can do this with Disk Director, even the recovery CD version. That's one of the product's best features.

6. tomkoss

What do I need to look for in the boot.ini file in terms of changing/fixing?

7. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

I think that what Colin was going to suggest was that you check boot.ini to be sure that it refers to the correct disk number and partition number. If you have only one hard disk and Windows is on the first partition (the most common configuration) then boot.ini should look like this:

Code:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

8. tomkoss

How do you get to/edit the boot.ini from the recovery cd module (it may be obvious, but I don't have my computer here w/ me to check it out)? Thx!

9. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

tomkoss:

Start Disk Director from your recovery CD and choose "Manual" mode. Click on the C partition (the one containing your Windows XP installation) and choose "Explore" from the sidebar on the left. Right-click on the file "boot.ini" in the list and choose "Edit" to view and/or edit the contents of the file. See the figure below:

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.