"Windows cannot find iexplore.exe"

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Simon Phoenix, Dec 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon Phoenix

Simon Phoenix Registered Member

Having a problem with someone's pc. This pc was heavily infected and after the removal of about 300 trojans and spyware, I got the computer moving back at regular speed expect I cannot use I.E and I need to re-install that. This computer only has SP1, not 2 so I need to get this working, I don't know how to use hijackthis....

I have to go to work in the morning so I cannot stay here long, if I don't reply for a while I am at work, will respond when I can.

Any advice?

2. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Hijackthis is a tool for examining certain settings to determine if any malware exists on your system. Some forms of malware have been able to circumvent being detected by Hijackthis. So it is not a foolproof malware tool. You can download the program on Merijn.org site and then generate a log report. You should post the log report on one of the help forums (such as spywareinfo, castlecops, etc., NOT this forum) to allow a PC tech to see what is listed on the report and to suggest an appropriate solution to the problem. You may be able to determine odd "bogus" settings by yourself, but it is better for an expert to review the report.

You should update XP to the SP2 level. SP1 doesn't have many security updates with the newer update and also Microsoft stopped supporting the SP1 package a few weeks ago.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx

3. Simon Phoenix

No other browser can run windows update expect I.E and maxthon doesn't allow active x, give me a browser that I can use that can install windows update.

4. fcukdat

fcukdat Registered Member

Have you tried to see if there is back up copyin DLL folder ?

Navigate to windows/system32/DLL folder and then copy and paste that IE file into the Internet Explorer folder located in the Program folder.

5. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

I have no problems updating Windows with Maxthon

6. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

To allow activeX in Maxthon

In Options
    Open Maxthon Options
    Select Download and tick the relavent boxes

7. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

I run windows update through firefox, using the IE tab extension, available here
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1419/
    Works like a charm!

8. Simon Phoenix

No cigar still, I cannot get windows update to download with ANY browser, also ALOT of system files are missing or are corrupted. This is a ibm and I don't have a copy of XP Pro so what I did is install Firefox and have the person use that and tell them that I.E is dead and it's not coming back.

Also during the startup screen, a error message comes up saying a file isn't found but it still lets me log in thru that username the owner uses.

9. Simon Phoenix

sfc.dll

File missing, that's the problem.

10. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Simon Phoenix

I think you will find SP1 is no longer Updateable, SP2 is now required.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

11. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

While this will be time consuming. You could download Belarc Advisor. http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html Hopefully it will be able to scan the PC and give you links to missing updates. Use the IT link on the MS site to download them one at a time. SP2 will probably be among them. It may be enough to get IE running enough to get to Windows updates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.