Windows calendar gadget vs Kaspersky

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by xxJackxx, Dec 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Posting this here because I think I will get a better response than from any other forum...

I had Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 installed and wanted to test some other software that it was not compatible with. I proceeded to uninstall and it failed. It left a terrible mess on my laptop so I downloaded their removal tool. That mostly cleaner it up but left all of the Windows gadgets and IE9 broken.

I tried a reinstall and it refused. I did a system restore and that got IE and the gadgets working but of course KIS was broken. I removed it and it seemed to uninstall this time but left IE and the gadgets broken again.

I restored the same system restore point 3 times before I figured out that KIS hijacks the registry entries for msxml3.dll, jscript.dll, and vbscript.dll (not sure if they are replacing these dlls or inserting their files between them) and rather than reverting them the failed uninstall was orphaning those entries and they will still pointing to a now non-existant Kaspersky dll. Re-registering them had no effect and I could not delete the registry keys. Ok, time to take ownership of the entries and then delete them. This worked and then finally I was able to register the correct dlls again.

5 hours later and as far as I can tell, everything works but my calendar gadget. No matter what I do I cannot get it to display anything, it is just blank. Sorry for the long story but I wanted to specify what had already been done here. Searching for like problems there are a lot of people that have the same problem not necessarily caused by the same issue. I do not have any bogus security zones in IE, I have registered vbscript,dll more times than I can count, so any of the online fixes I have seen have not worked. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the gadget platform in Windows 7, uninstalled and reinstalled IE9, and removed the calendar gadget and restored it. I have also run various registry scans with no resolution.

Is there anyone that would have any clue what would have been changed in the registry that may have caused this and how to fix it? I have removed KIS from all of my machines out of frustration caused by this issue. Fortunately the desktop uninstalled it cleanly.

-Ok, I don't need an answer for this anymore. Vbscript.ddl never properly registered. Checked the registry from a good machine and copied settings.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.