Windows Apps and disabling them using CMD Prompt in Windows Firewall..?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Thelps, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Thelps

Thelps Registered Member

Hi all,

Noticed that the UWP Apps (those found in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps) do not respond to being disabled via the CMD Prompt by using:

'netsh AdvFirewall Firewall Set Rule name="WindowsApp Name" New Enable=no'

I can change the setting of these WindowsApps if I use 'group="WindowsApp Name"' instead of 'Name="WindowsApp Name" ' but that doesn'tlet me configure the rule beyond Enabling or Disabling it.

After dumping all the firewall rules to a text file using 'Netsh AdvFirewall Firewall Show Rule Name=all >C:\FW_Rules.txt' I noticed that the specific WindowsApps that don't respond to CMD Prompt Firewall Config Commands all have wierd names...

For Example:

@{Microsoft.Microsoft3DViewer_5.1902.20012.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe?ms-resource://Microsoft.Microsoft3DViewer/Common.View.UWP/Resources/StoreAppName}
    For a rule whose name appears in the Firewall UI as simply '3D Viewer'

So, in a nutshell:

Netsh AdvFirewall Firewall Set Rule Name="3D Viewer" New Dir=In Action=Allow Enable=Yes
    Returns the error 'No Rules Match the Specified Criteria'

BUT

Netsh AdvFirewall Firewall Set Rule Group="3D Viewer" New Enable=Yes
    Works fine.

LASTLY

In the .txt file generated by dumping the rules to a text file, the above '3D Viewer' application has the strange name:

@{Microsoft.Microsoft3DViewer_5.1902.20012.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe?ms-resource://Microsoft.Microsoft3DViewer/Common.View.UWP/Resources/StoreAppName}

What is causing this and how do I make it so I can configure WindowsApps automatically using CMD Prompt?

This only seems to be the case in Windows 10 Version 1909.

Much Appreciated.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.