Windows Admin folder acessible by anyone?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Amanda, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Yesterday I noticed that my regular account (Stand User) on Windows 7 is able to access the Admin folder without a UAC prompt, this means anyone using my account can see the contents of that folder without giving the Admin password.

Here's the image: https://i.imgur.com/jXej46e.jpg

What happened? I never changed the permissions of the Admin's folder.

The "Admin" account is the first account I create after installing WIndows (in that "Insert a username, example John" screen). Then I set up a password for it, then create the "Amarildo" account (standard account).

2. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

3. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

Check the ownership of the folder. It should be the admin account or group administrators. The permissions look right in the second image and trying to access it from a standard account should give a UAC prompt and you should have full access from the admin account. Also verify group membership of "admin" and "amarildo".

4. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

This is such a mess, describing what I just did wouldn't help and would just confuse everybody :( But I kinda got back where I started: My standard account has full access to the Admin folder. If I try to change the permissions but cancel when the error appears, the Temp problem will reappear.

Here's where I decided to leave it as it is:
    • If I click "Continue" on all errors until I can actually remove my permissions, than UAC will prompt if I try to access that folder (which is the correct behavior);
    • However, if I do access that folder, I'll have full control over it again, for some reason :(
    So that is it. I won't try to access that folder anymore, UAC will prompt me if I ever try to access it (but I won't), and no temporary profiles should be created anymore.

I hate programmers :mad: Somebody messed it up and now this happens.

5. MisterB

Once you allow access from a UAC prompt, it stays. That is where the permissions for the armarildo account came from. The best way to keep the permissions is to only access the admin account folder when logged on as admin. Unfortunately, windows doesn't allow more than one instance of Windows Explorer to run at once from one account so you can't use Windows Explorer as an administrator logged on to a standard account. All the other software on the system can be be launched as an administrator from a standard account. I usually start an administrator command prompt to do any administrative functions when I'm working from a standard account.

6. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

@MisterB Thanks, but are you sure? I don't remember it being this way o_O Once I left the directory, UAC would prompt again for the admin password if I tried to access the directory. That's how I remember, at least.

7. MisterB

Thinking about it a bit more and checking default permissions on one of my Windows 7 boxes, now I see why this happened to you but doesn't always happen. Windows treats default permissions in the "Users" folder differently and doesn't automatically add the group "users" to the folders created for new users. So when you allow the UAC prompt, Windows adds you to the permissions of that folder and gives you full control. I just tried it and that is exactly what it did. In most folders the users group has some sort of access so there is no need to add a user individually to give access.

Playing around a bit, I found a work around. If you leave amarildo as a user and set all permissions to deny, it will not let you in and you will get a permission denied message after allowing the UAC prompt. It will work best if you are fully logged onto the admin account to change permissions. Then you won't get the permission denied messages. Some files have permissions have to be changed by the owner of the folder and another user with elevated privilege will get the error messages. The problem seems to be when you do not exist at all in the folders permissions and Windows grants you access through UAC.

8. guest

guest Guest

This is by design. If you click on "Continue" , ACL's are changed:
    I would use a different filemanager for accessing such folders:

9. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Thanks. I'm encrypting my drive with VeraCrypt ATM but I'll try it as soon as it's done.

I was actually considering this. Thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.