Windows 98se shutdown/startup?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by hayc59, Jun 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

does anyone know why all of a sudden
    when i go to shut down my p.c.
    start/shutdown and the window pops-up with the four selections it is defaulting to restart instead of shutdown?

just wondering? dont remember it doing this before?
    or am i just going crazy??
    thanks ;)

2. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Hi Hayc 59
    I once had a similar problem about 6 months ago and found the solution http://www.annoyances.org

However microsoft have a section on this that it may be best to read and a patch also http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q238/0/96.asp

The annoyances thread will will suggest disabling the shutdown sound event which could be causing a conflict . The shutdown screen itself could be causing a conflict; disable it by using the Find tool to locate the file logow.sys then right-click on it and rename. Also change the setting on your AV program so that it does not scan your disk drives on shutdown. Your shutdown time will now be shorter.

Mine started behaving similar after trying out a new firewall.

3. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Well when you do all of that and the window pops up where do you find the dot placed..if it is in restart..then click on the shut down so that the dot is visible there..and then see what happens. I you are saying that even after you do this.. the next time you try to shut down you again see the black dot by the restart..then let me know.

That can also be solved. ;)

4. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

that is what is exactly happening.. so whats the answer?? thank you.... :)

5. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Hello hayc59
    Ah....the old 98SE shutdown scenario! Well do not feel too badly as we have the same problem. We do not think it is related to OP after doing some research. We will recommend you look HERE. Do not feel badly if after trying all that the problem still exists. We think our computer has a BIOS deficiency hence the shutdown problem. We never had auto shut off functionality even before OP was installed for the first time.

Best regards and let us know how it goes.

6. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

bump... :D

7. Primrose

8. Primrose

also..

Start your computer in Safe mode and then shut down. If your computer does not shut down properly in Safe mode, there may be a compatibility issue between Windows 98 and your computer's BIOS. For additional information, contact your hardware manufacturer or visit the following Microsoft Web site: http://support.microsoft.com/support/windows/topics/winme/hardware/bios.asp

9. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

thanks Primrose, that did the trick!!
    i owe you one... :D

Q, i was not having those terrible shut down problems i have heard of
    just the sequence on the pop-up window was out of sink(lol)

but thanks for your help also.. :D :D ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.