Windows 98 True Image backup keeps crashing

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Peter Mac, Oct 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter Mac

Peter Mac Registered Member

I have Acronis True Image 9.0
    I installed it on a Windows 98 machine.
    I also have an Iomega Rev drive but it doesn't support Win 98.
    I tried to make the archive on the same disk as the data. After 1.5 gb or so it crashed.
    Next I set up a cross over ethernet cable to my Win XP machine and set up file sharing.
    I asked Acronis to save the data to the WinXP machine. From there I will save it to the backup Rev disk.

Same result--crashed after 1.5 gb.

Now I am attempting to use the files and folders only option also over my cross over network (PC to PC network).

So far it hasn't crashed, but I'd really like a full mirror image.
    for now, I'm just backing up the C drive and hopefully that will be enough.

BTW, I turned off my screen saver and power save settings. I ran scandisk surface scan before starting, but no dice--still errors out.

can anyone help me?

2. Peter Mac

okay, it gets interesting. I just got an error on the Files only backup.
    it said it was unable to read my keyboard.drv file. I told it to ignore the file but it crashed windows. I believe the same file must have crashed the mirror image backup but it just didn't give me any error message (happened at same time after starting backup so it's logical).

anyway, I will try to exclude the file and see if that helps.

okay, update. now it can't read my .dll files.
    curiously, the scandisk said NO BAD Sectors so what gives??
    this is really getting time consuming and irritating.

update: it doesn't matter what I do. It finds some file it doesn't like and crashes. I believe Acronis True Image 9.0 doesn't work well with Windows 98 so I am reinstalling Acronis True image 7.0 which I've never had any problems with for Windows 98.

BTW I told true image 9.0 to ignore the *.cab files, but it still tried to back them up. There are quite a few bugs for True Image 9.0 for Windows 98. The Microsoft Windows Xp backup utility is pretty buggy too and True Image 9.0 on Windows 98 reminds me of it.

It is likely all acronis development support is going to Windows XP and Windows 98 won't even be fixed so this doesn't surprise me one bit.

I am now creating an image with True Image 7--no problems at all so far...

update: True Image 7.0 backed up full image in 5 minutes on my Win 98 machine! It is definitely the true image 9.0 that is the problem for Windows 98! what was broken in the upgrade?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2005
  3. rharris270

rharris270 Guest

If a backup from within 98 does not work, then try making the backup from the bootable CD, the one you would use to perform a restore. The CD is running LINUX, and a version more recent than win98. If you made ther CD with the option for a complete set of drivers, it might even work on the Rev Drive directly. Hint, attach the Rev Drive to the PC before booing from the TI recovery CD. It will certainly support USB and firewire hard drives, as well as a USB ZIP drive.

4. Peter Mac

the point is TI 7.0 works perfectly on Windows 98. True Image 9.0 doesn't work at all (unless you seriously tweak it). I shouldn't have to monkey with it all day to find a solution. Acronis needs to fix the ton of bugs in their code--it should be dummy proof.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Peter Mac,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept my apologies for the delay with the response. I'm also really sorry for any inconveniences caused by the behaviour of Acronis software.

Since most of the known problems of Acronis True Image 9.0 have been solved since October 11, I advice you to download and install the latest build (2302) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Try to create both partition-level and file-level backups using build 2302 and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists and Acronis True Image 9.0 still hangs on image creation then please download the latest version of Acronis drivers and install it with disabled logging.

If that does not help then please enable logging by running Acronis Drivers installation package once again, reproduce the problem and collect the c:\snapapi.log file.

Please also collect the following information:

- Create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- Reproduce the problem and collect Acronis True Image 9.0 log which can be saved from Tools -> Show Log -> Diskette icon;

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step;

Please also do the following:

- Press the Start button, choose Run, type "drwtsn32" and press Enter;

- In the dialog that appears check the Log File and Crash Dump paths, then press the OK button;

- Run Acronis True Image and reproduce the problem;

- Pick up the user.dmp and drwtsn32.log files in the directory specified at step 2;

Create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.