Windows 8 will return Start menu

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by cruelsister, Mar 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anon

anon Registered Member

2. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

I believe the start button will return to the desktop as a shortcut to the Start Screen, a kind of more visible hot corner.

And, and this is confirmed, the Start Screen as well as the whole Modern UI will get several improvements.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

If this really happens, I will officially crown myself the king of market predictions.
    Mrk

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Number One Priority: They need to REMOVE Metro (Modern UI), period.

5. Wild Hunter

No they don't and they won't. This is a delusion. It will get improved, not removed.

Modern UI is the front-end of WinRT which is technically superior and can get improved faster and easier than Win32 without major headaches for devs.

That's where the Windows ecosystem is moving to. Windows Store for Windows 8/RT already has more than 50.000 apps.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  6. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Your not forced to use the metro interface.:cautious:

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I know they won't. And that's why I refuse to buy or use any MS product after Win 7 and Office 2010. Watch, as most of the rest of the sensible world does the same in the coming year or two if things don't change.

PS: They and you are assuming, as usual, that the non-touch desktop and laptop are dead. They aren't. End of story...

8. Wild Hunter

The touch input is here to stay, as the market keeps showing.

But I believe that the improvements will also get Modern UI more friendly to mouses.

As for keyboards, Windows 8 and RT already supports a much wider range of keyboard shortcuts than previous versions of Windows.

Windows Store Apps for Windows RT and Windows 8 means:

- much more accessible third-party software in terms of price;
    - major advantages for devs in terms of exposure, development, etc;
    - major benefits for users in terms of maintenance, security, etc.

A Microsoft Win32-centric OS won't happen anymore. You only need some time of sincere analysis to see that.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

As usual, more marketing, and then some.... you are just echoing what MS is trying to push everyone into, not what will actually be, or happen in the future...

Do you think that all the hundreds of thousands of desktop (including laptop) systems in business for example, are going to suddenly disappear or become touch systems? To be honest, the business/corporate market is the ONLY thing that is and will be keeping MS alive for the next several years. Everything else they're doing is failing miserably.

10. Wild Hunter

Last I checked, W8 marketing was using music and commercials with users action more than realistic explanations of what's going on.

But if their marketing is now using the truths I told, well, good for their marketing.

As for your question: yes, they will eventually get replaced and eventually all the replacements will come with touch input.

And regarding Microsoft and its financial results, you're totally wrong:

Apr 18 2013 - Microsoft posts record third quarter revenue in spite of flat Windows numbers

(...)"Entertainment and Devices Division posted strong results. Revenue was up 56 percent at $3.531 billion."(...)

11. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

He's probably trolling, or maybe on Google's payroll, making Microsoft look bad.:D

12. Wild Hunter

Or maybe I'm just telling my opinion in a public forum.

13. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

You sure have a trolling mode to do it.

14. Wild Hunter

I disagree. If you have issues, describe what you are talking about.

15. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

I've read through this thread and still haven't seen anyone mention the true danger of Win8 and its successors. It's really not the lack of the traditional desktop that is the problem, but instead the movement of Windows toward a closed system.

Currently any of you dear readers can whip out a Windows app and retire in bliss to Lichtenstein, but with the advent of the "Modern Application" MSFT is aiming to control developers’ access to the platform (see, they can learn from AAPL). As examples, consider that Redmond must truly have been galled by the success of Chrome by Google, especially as Bing really hasn't darkened Google's day. But do you think that MSFT will grant Google such freedom when all Windows apps have to be shifted to Modern? Will something like Open Office pass muster when it takes a bit of share away from MS Office?

Of course with legacy OS's such as XP, Vista, and Win7 being held on to the change to a closed system will take years; but the initial steps down this path leave me a tad concerned.

16. Spysnake

Spysnake Registered Member

I really hope that this doesn't happen. I am amazed how people try to forget the fact that touch input isn't ergonomic nor is it efficient for "real" computer work. My hands and back start hurting just by imagining working with touch-only computer 8 hours a day.

17. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, in spite of what you hear some people claiming, touch is not THE future, it's only the future for mobile devices, and I'm sorry, but in the future, there will be more than just mobile devices.

18. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I thought you were all about the "facts" and "objective" truth. That doesn't leave much room for your subjective "opinions" now does it?

PS - Just making a point based on your earlier assertions in another thread. Of course we love to hear your opinions.... ;)

19. Wild Hunter

Yes, I try to base my opinion in facts and in objective truth, but my posts only "definitively" reflect my option. Everything is open to discussion, lol.

20. Wild Hunter

Nobody said that touch will be the only input method of all computers. Keyboards and mouses won't "suddenly" disappear. However, at some point, all new computers sold with screens will come with touch support.

21. anon

anon Registered Member

22. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

23. Wild Hunter

24. anon

anon Registered Member

. :p

25. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Agreed - Like I say with the classic interface, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I have no use for Metro nor tablets or smartphones. :thumbd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.