Windows 8 will be available on…

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Jul 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Nice one Mrkvonic. Just a tip for all that dont use Windows 8 on a pad or a phone: Download Classic Shell and Windows becomes a PC OS again rather than something for toys :p Personally I like the minimal themes on W8. I´ve been running build 9200 for a week and I can live with it :)
    But WIndows 8 doesn't really feel necessary to have if you got Windows 7 already.

2. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

I'm kind of getting used to the start screen, actually. After removing all the Metro apps and populating it with desktop apps, it looks better to me. I know that's not really their intention though.

I disagree with his comment about them changing the windows to appeal to the "smartphone generation." Most smartphone interfaces I've seen have elements that are glossy with nuanced color, not flat. They just changed the windows to look more like the Metro interface. It seems that originally they went out of their way to make Metro look as different as possible from the desktop, and now they're backtracking.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I know ... it's already in the article pipe :)
    Mrk

4. Tomwa

Tomwa Registered Member

In my opinion people need to start choosing their opinions like they'd choose a spouse. It has be usable, reliable, and you have to enjoy using it. Windows 8 is missing at least 2 out of 3 for me.

I'm not going to pay for a step downward from my current OS (Windows 7) just because it's 'cheap'. That's like being in a committed relationship with a beautiful girl who knows you and makes you happy and choosing to trade it in for a hooker whose skin looks like over-tanned leather and who smells like drugs and urine.

And to top it all off you get AIDS.

Don't Get Aids.
    Avoid the Microsoft train wreck that is Windows 8.

5. philby

philby Registered Member

Crikey!! Never would have thought to put it quite like that myself.

6. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Classic Shell is great. The default style for the start menu may be "Windows classic", "Windows XP"or "Windows Vista/7". I can imagine many people installing this in the future.

7. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I'm about 1 step away from restoring my Windows 7 image and kissing Windows 8 goodbye. I had a BSOD a couple of days ago (never happened on this machine with 7) and now NONE of the "Metro" apps will launch. I have tried various fixes I have found on the internet and none of them have worked. If I have to reinstall then I am not reinstalling 8. I really wanted to like it but it just does not seem reliable yet. :(

8. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Personally im not interested in windows 8.i dont like the look of it.
    Windows 7 is the best in my opinion and im sticking with it.:shifty: :ninja:

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

https://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive...lt-in-apps-for-windows-8.aspx?Redirected=true

10. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

H/T @ Ed Bott
    First Windows 8 PCs appear early, crapware included.

11. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I'd like to see some tests of the new Windows 8 factory reset in action against the crapware.

12. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Ed Bott Tweets Windows 8 developments on a regular basis, I shall add them here as they arise. :thumb:

13. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Microsoft is doing nothing original.

Its ripped off the Ubuntu Software Center.

Color me unimpressed with its approach to Windows 8.

14. Tomwa

Tomwa Registered Member

I was really impressed actually I expected Microsoft to shoot themselves in the foot (They do it a lot) but I didn't imagine them taking off their entire leg.

15. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

"Why Windows Just Can't Win"

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/10/why-windows-just-cant-win/

Microsoft is about to have its biggest product release in nearly 20 years. Before the end of the month, Windows 8, Windows RT, Surface RT, and Windows Phone 8 will all launch. While you can already pre-order some of these products right now, the party’s really just getting started.

And Microsoft is already screwing it up.

Just putting another opinion out there, it isn't meant to be an MS hate starter.

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I actually installed the release preview again yesterday, and I do admit that it's not bad when you just stick to the desktop. It's nice to have a clean new OS. It's Metro that puts me off... I don't need it. But if you avoid Metro, it's not hard to adjust to 8.

What I think the problem will be is when you get "normal" users who aren't tech oriented trying to buy new machines with 8 installed. I really have a feeling that a lot of people just won't know what to make of it, or how to use it. Metro is just going to confuse and distract them on any non-touch machine.

Anyway, we'll see soon. I think I am over my initial loathing of Metro, and now just see it as something silly that I wish weren't there... but even so, I think I could adapt to 8 if I had to.

17. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Yawn... MS wants to push this to desktops, so that desktop users accustomed to Metro, then go buy tablets and similar portable devices with Metro. And that's the real target of MS. How to dominate the portable market too.

Nah, i won't be downgrading to 8 just because MS is trying this marketing stunt to beat her tablet/phone competitors.

18. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

My opinion is that they won't dominate that market. The iPad has held on to that market for a long time now, and, unlike MS, Apple generally doesn't stumble over itself when it comes to marketing their products. Like the article I linked above said, MS can put out decent products. The development departments are fine, but when things get to the business department everything gets messed up.

19. PoetWarrior

PoetWarrior Registered Member

Yea, I've done the same thing. Since using Start8 to bring back a normal desktop plus Family Safety improvement, I've ordered Windows 8 HP 64 bit System Builder DVD. Bought it from Amazon today. Got a 30 dollar coupon. Total was 74.97 including shipping.

I don't use any Metro stuff.

20. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

I'm probably going Mac and Linux, after windows 7 and vista are completely phased out. Windows 8 is not very appealing, and I've got a feeling Microsoft is just using us to test a beta (like windows vista) before releasing something better (like windows 7). Correctly me if I'm wrong, but this is just how I've come to view Microsoft's marketing practice.

21. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

They wouldn't be trying this hard for a Beta test, and Windows 9 will likely not change much from Windows 8 unless Windows 8 blows up in their faces and they either revert back to the "old way" UI and all (not likely) or come up with some other idea (most likely). They're looking for a complete success for both Windows 8 and Surface, and, if recent release history holds true, Windows 8 won't see massive adoption until around the time Windows 9 is almost ready or released. Usually it is the business world that holds back on adoption (there are still a good number of companies moving to Windows 7 right now). However, MS changed things so much that they're risking quite content Windows 7 users ignoring Windows 8.

The adoption and success of Surface is an entirely different story, and one I don't think will have an extremely happy ending. This is all my opinion of course, based on thoughts and past history as a Windows user and watcher.

22. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I agree. But i can see what MS is trying to do... Most people do have a desktop PC. But only a minority has tablets. I don't for example. And most people aren't tech savvy. So, MS thinks "If we push Metro into the desktops, then, we have better chances that when average Joe, who is computer semi-illiterate, goes to buy a tablet or smart phone, he will want to buy the only thing that he is already familiar with, so that he can save himself the headaches. So he will pick Metro again, something he already has at his desktop PC".

So, it has a logic behind it and MS also has OEMs that as usual, will push Win8 down the throat of many new buyers. So, MS may not dominate the portable market, but they see Metro as their opportunity to increase their foothold there.

23. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I would argue that that is a bit of strange logic there. You need far less technical savvy to operate and use smartphones and tablets and expect touch interfaces with these devices. They're both created with touch in mind. What MS is putting that environment in a system that for 20+ years was never designed with touch in mind, the PC. Just like smartphone and tablet users are already accustomed to and comfortable using touch, PC users are accustomed to and comfortable using keyboards and mice.

Argue about "changing the game" as much as you like, but changing the user experience that drastically for users with 20+ years of doing things a certain way is going to ruffle feathers and mess people up. I've heard the counter-arguments a lot. "Well, my 5 year old has no trouble with Windows 8". Yeah? Kudos to your child..who hasn't been using a PC for 20+ years and was barely alive when touch devices suddenly became usable and popular again.

It's not logic more than it is desperation to gain that foothold.

24. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

The PC was never designed with the mouse in mind, people laughed at MS when they tried to push the mouse.

Look how that turned out. Let's not make up nonsense by trying to define the PC as 1 singular input method.

People are too afraid/blind of the future unfortunately. It will end up like the minority report, glass touch screens everywhere with hybrid tablets/laptops becoming the device to own. The mouse will become a utility like the drawing tablet.

Or at least that's what Microsoft is betting on :D

25. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

I'm fine with change and progress, as long as I see a clear benefit. I just haven't seen it yet with touchscreens on home devices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.