Windows 8 to have built-in anti-virus - there's good and bad news

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by PJC, Sep 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Doubt that serious conflicts will happen - Windows Defender has so far not been any trouble, and it can be easily disabled.

IMO, these events will probably lead to a mad rush for bundling of anti-malware products with hardware - what used to be trial versions bundled for free with laptops and desktops will probably become "limited lifetime" licenses (i.e. limited in features but license lasts as long as you use the computer).

While profits are a different issue, the fact is that market share is important (especially since cloud network partly depends on it), and the security vendors will have to do whatever is necessary to maintain their market share.

Also, I think vendors will now have to come up with a more integrated update scheme - Microsoft can use Windows Update to seamlessly update or upgrade its security products, thus the user will never have to check whether "version 2012" is released. Somehow, other vendors will have to match that.

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

There will be no conflicts, just like Windows 7. Defender gets disabled when you install another AV.

3. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

dunno, I know MS allow developers to view part of windows source code in special case, its something very restricted of course.

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I imagine there's quite a bit of legal work involved so that none of it can be released without serious penalties. It's likely just governments who force them to for antitrust reasons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.