Windows 8 To Go Up...A Lot

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mman79, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I have this on my x64 PC. I don't use it though.

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

If I remember correctly Windows 8 already boots so fast on some systems that they had to add a special boot mode.

3. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Windows 7 boots pretty fast in this kinda old laptop with only 2GB of RAM and less than 60GB HDD (total size). :D Of course, I had to disable unneeded services, and I don't have nothing (third-party) running when the system boots. :argh:

4. Daveski17

I think that everyone should have an added special boot mode.

5. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Windows 8 on my New SONY VAIO i5 7200 RPM HDD is up and running a lot faster then all my windows 7 machine but not sure if that's related to the system specs and HDD speed.

6. Daveski17

I honestly still believe that Vista was the most aesthetically beautiful OS that MS have produced.

In its defence, I do believe that Microsoft actually used several centimetres of coloured construction paper to style Windows 8.

7. Daveski17

I know many didn't like Aero's effect on performance, but it still looks good. I don't care what MS say about 'cheesy' or 'dated' interfaces, it's all marketing propaganda.

8. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

ot posts removed.

9. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Apart the price going up, remember, that after January 31, Media Center for Win8, will cost $ 9.99. So get it while you still can for free.

10. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

... continues

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/24/windows_8_blame_game/

11. elapsed

Well technically it is their fault. OEMs complained to Microsoft about touch screen support. Microsoft improves touch screen support in Windows 7.

OEMs continue to complain as the market looses more and more to touch based devices, Microsoft responds again, this time with a touch oriented OS.

Have the OEMs responded now that MS has made this OS? Hardly. The market won't be flooded with touch based devices for at least another year. But this is typical and expected of OEMs, so I don't see the point of "complaining".

12. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Bit the bullet and bought it at the very last moment. Let's see what happens next, I don't have time to install it yet....

13. moontan

moontan Registered Member

just scream if you need help! :D
    because you'll probably do a bit of that at the beginning. lol

we'll be happy to lend a hand. :)

14. elapsed

Never-the-less, you're FAR better off buying it now for cheap than wanting it a year down the line or finding out they publish a new Windows version which requires Windows 8 as a base.

It's not like you have to install it.

15. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I was going to buy 3 more licences for Windows 8 before the price increase this week, but didn't really have the money to spare.

I have still seen some cheap prices around, though they may not last for long.

Right now I've got Windows 8 installed on two computers as dual boot with Windows 7, and am solely using Windows 7. I do really like Windows 8, but on one of my computers I have not taken the time yet to transfer to move all my music of my Win 7 partition, then shrink of delete my Windows 7 partition, resize my Windows 8 partition and then put all my music in my Windows 8 partition. But, I will do this in time.

If I had actually been able to do an in place upgrade to Windows 8 rather than a clean install (it failed part way through on the two computers I tried it on), then I would be running just Windows 8 on at least two of my laptops.

16. Firecat

I have been looking at Windows 8 on the laptop and it's pretty decent to use once you get the hang of it. It seems faster but probably isn't really so IMO. The main thing is that it feels a lot more convenient and a bit more snappy, but I'm not sure this is really a compelling upgrade for users of Windows 7.

For what it's worth I can live with it, but I'm going to have to wait a bit before I get this installed on the desktop, hehe :) .

So far, family reaction is mixed. My mother likes Windows 8, my brother hates it :D

17. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Haha.. yep, that's pretty typical. :)

18. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I agree, it was.

LOL. I do wish the titlebar text could be some other color than black, regardless of the color of the titlebar. It makes using a black or dark grey theme difficult.

19. Firecat

All things aside I do think overall I am glad I decided to buy it afterall. Actually, I have used Windows 7 the least of any Windows OS. I used Vista right up to 2011, and as such I have seen every service pack of that OS. I only upgraded as I wanted a better version than my Home Basic and could no longer find Vista on stores. I was also concerned MS may not offer extended support for the Home versions, a decision they ultimately reversed.

All things said and done, despite what some users here say, other than boot times, SSDs and battery power usage (on laptops), the performance difference I observed between Vista SP2 and Windows 7 was insignificant, to say the least. Vista SP2 really fixed that OS, to be honest. I almost regretted buying Windows 7. A year and a half later, I do feel perhaps I didn't need to upgrade at all and should have directly bought Windows 8 instead :)

But, Windows 7 did allow me to experience Aero Glass, something I did not get in it's entirety in Vista Home Basic. Other than that, meh :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.