Windows 8 To Go Up...A Lot

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mman79, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Nah, I won't spend that much money for something, even to avoid Windows.. :)

2. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

same here business side. its almost entirely desktops and laptops. while we do see more tablets than before they are for sure not even close to being a dominating force in the pc world yet. and i also feel like they will be around for a LONG time to come i dont see desktops or lapops going away for a good many years still.

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I don't see businesses, or really the majority of people, moving to touch interface. I really can't imagine it.

4. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

also agreed. im not a macbook fan at all. i have them i use them for very few things and i do repair them for clients. but i would not want one personally. for me if anything i bought a new win 8 laptop i would go ahead and just put win 7 on it if it was my daily use machine for the time being.

5. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9235166/Update_Windows_8_s_early_uptake_lags_behind_Vista_s

Steam is hardly representative of the desktop market. If anything it represents teenage gamers. Also Steam's statistics can't be compared to 2009, since its userbase has changed very much since then and there is even no assurance that they were keeping their records in the same way. As a matter of fact, they just found a bug.

Also, Win7 initially, had various drivers problems (even in graphics, let alone scanners and printers. My scanner took 3 months to release Win7 driver and my printer took something like 6 months for non signed driver that was giving event viewer error. Finally after more months Samsung released a "universal" driver that worked smoothly), but more important, most users had stayed with XP, with lower specs hardware, on their way to upgrade as a "must" for 7. Today, Win8 is just a disguised Windows7 and people who had made hardware upgrade for Win7, can readily run Win8.

But, if your Steam Theory is correct, then we will see a boom in Win8 market share in the coming months and years, won't we? So we ll' be both here to re-discuss this theory, right? So time will tell.

Touch screen for current desktops, will remain an used feature. Win8 can do nothing about it. For tablets, Win8 will help Microsoft, although not to the extent that MS would hope.

6. Hungry Man

How so?

7. Fuzzfas

Hungry Man, what you say, is true ever since MS stopped IE6 with ActiveX allowed by default. Still, an OS to be secure, must disallow malicious code no matter what the entry gate is. UAC was supposed to control that, UAC can be bypassed. If you think Win8 will do better against 7 in infections, fine, we will see.

I know one thing. Sandboxie, will stop even Java/flash/pdf reader exploit. Windows won't.

8. Fuzzfas

Because the specs to run Win8 aren't higher than 7? Actually less, since with less eye-candy you need less powerful graphics. Also, you will hardly find a hardware that was Win7 compliant, that didn't readily have drivers for Win8 released.

9. Hungry Man

I mean how are they the same OS.

10. Fuzzfas

Windows 7: v6.1
    Windows 8: v6.2

This also explains the overall parity in performance, as well the lack of major features. Also several drivers that were released several time ago for 7, work fine in 8.

11. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

There is only 1 reason it is v6.2 not v8, compatibility with old enterprise software.

I hope you have more reasons that that...

There was also a document published somewhere during Windows 8 development listing over 2000 new features.

12. Fuzzfas

Sorry, i thought this was actually a mitigating factor for MS. If this was to be a "v8", then it would be a total failure, given that it gives virtually nothing over Win7. 2 versions "up" and this is what you deliver? Seriously? I want my DVD back!

13. elapsed

To the short sighted, sure. Is there a reason you don't bother researching these things before making blanket statements? I mean, the multi screen improvements in Windows 8 alone are a joy.

if you really care about discussing this further I suggest you go to the building Windows 8 blog and read every single one of their blog posts. Rather that just stating things you think are right for the sake of... debate?

14. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I didn't say that I was going to enjoy spending all of those spondoolies. Macs are expensive in my country. I reckon I may have to live on Spam or cat food for a while, but it may be worth it. ;)

15. Fuzzfas

How much "research" must a user do after all in order to appreciate this wonderOS? The wikipedia article isn't enough? Must i buy a 2nd monitor to be able to finally appreciate this OS? I have the misfortune of using only 1 monitor, so i wasn't able to see the "miracle" when i tried 8. Sorry.

If those who write the Windows 8 blog, instead of passing their time praising themselves and sitting on their laurels, actually heard to the "lowly" user, Windows 8 would be selling like hotcakes now.

I know one thing. You ll never find a developer badmouthing its own product. Be it Windows Me or Vista or 8. But at the end of the day, marketshare is where one sees if the product works or whether he was enjoying patting himself on the back.

16. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

You make a fair point. You can have whatever opinion you want, and I agree with your right to state it. It just seems there are a lot of unwarranted negative comments floating around every time Windows 8 is mentioned (not just here but on many forums).

Agreed! :thumb:

I didn't think I was... also agreed. I just want people to try it themselves rather than parroting every negative comment they see on the internet. In my experience most of the people that claim a particular OS was bad never tried it themselves.

17. Hungry Man

Versioning means virtually nothing, especially with the Windows kernel.

18. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Depends on the context.... Microsoft will happily bash older products now to try to get your to upgrade to the latest and greatest. They'll tell you how much they think XP sucks today. :D But no, they will not bash the current product.

19. elapsed

Sorry, but we weren't taking about the average user, we were talking about your false statements. I don't think "the average user" bothers to come to a security forum and start stating non-researched opinions as fact.

Anyway, all I was trying to say is that there are a lot of changes in Windows 8 to simply say it offers nothing over 7. You can A) Believe me, B) go research it yourself or C) continue to believe what you want and continue your incorrect posts here.

20. Fuzzfas

This is natural. When a new version of Windows come up, after years of expectations, what do you look for? Don't you desire new features you 'd like and possibly a performance increase? When you don't get them, don't you feel disappointed? For me the only "interesting" feature, is the faster boot time. But my PC already boots in about 15 seconds ton Win7 and i don't reboot all that often anymore, so, compared to the bad sides, this isn't enough and is a big disappointment. Actually, one of the reasons i finally left XP, was that 7 allowed me to run fewer startup entries or lighter. For example, you got an outbound filtering firewall. You got automatic wallpaper changer, better WMP, weather gadget (i had tons of problems with weather programs in XP), interesting search/indexing, prettier (i initially hated aero, up until i found a configuration that allowed eye-candy with XP-like responsiveness), better defragger, UAC... Just to name the first that come to my mind.

With v8, i struggle to find enough things to counteract the things that i don't like. Because it's not like you see all that many useful features.

I think if a company wants to have success, must listen to the userbase. They can discard as unsubstantiated complains if they like, but it's better listening to them, than not. Several people had warned MS about the start button at early stage. MS ignored them. If they had put it, "average Joes" would have found it friendlier. If you go to a computer store, go to the section where they have Win8 PCs or laptops in exposition and look at the face of 30-40 year old men that try to navigate metro, despite the fact that cunningly enough, the stores position the screens very close to the desk edge, so that the customers don't get tired working with their hands extended, like they 'd do at home.

21. Fuzzfas

I am sorry, next time, i will present my PhD on Windows research before i dare post in a forum my opinion, oh, pardon, i meant fact.

And all i can say, is that when there are a "lot of changes", but the user struggles to see their benefit, the product has failed.

If i continue my incorrect posts, will you allow me to pass the semester or must i repeat the class next year? :D

22. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Don't you wonder why that is? :)

I have a lot of negative comments to make about 8, and I speak from personal experience using it. I just don't like it, period. And I think millions of people did download and try the previews, and a lot of those people don't like it either. Is that so hard to accept? Let's be fair here.....

23. Fuzzfas

Ah, yes, of course.

24. elapsed

You did not present is as opinion, sorry.

It's a forum, you're either here to learn, teach, or troll. It certainly isn't teach.

I guess I'm alone in thinking people should research things before bringing facts to a debate. Expressing something as an opinion is an entirely different thing altogether, a thing you did not do.

25. Fuzzfas

Whatever...

Is that a fact or an opinion? Because it sounds like a fact, but i have a different opinion. Which of the 3 options allowed are you here for?

Yeah, everyone goes into a forum after done a homework first, sure. That's why fora exist, so that people can exchange research papers.

For future reference, i will always use "IMO", before every thing i write.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.