Windows 8 passed compatability check but....

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by buckshee, Jun 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buckshee

buckshee Registered Member

I did a compatibility check for the Windows 8 Preview 4800. So I downloaded the 32 bit ISO. Installed it and after waiting the 30 minutes or so for the install to complete I was met with a screen that basically said Windows 8 wouldn't run on my computer and uninstalled itself.
    I then restored an `image' that only had Windows 7 plus Microsoft Office on. Again I had the same end result.
    Makes me reluctant to buy Windows 8 when it is released if the compatability program says my system will work then the OS doesn't
    Anyone else had a similar problem with the preview.
    Muy computer is 1 year old, Intel i2400, 4 GB Ram

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I think you're going to need the actual Windows install disk/ISO of Windows 7 (do NOT forget your license key!). You can't downgrade from Win 8 without basically wiping the disk. I don't think an image will help in this case, but hopefully I'm wrong (I haven't needed to go through this).

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Did you wipe it and do a clean install or did you "upgrade"? The latter is generally problematic with any OS.

I suggest you download the ISO and "extract" it onto a USB pen, then install it onto your machine.

4. buckshee

buckshee Registered Member

I just upgraded the Windows 7, once as the current system and second as a system with only Win 7 + Microsoft Office. I guess I could try just a clean install of the Windows 8 if the preview lets me do it. The upgrade certainly didn't work.
    I was hoping just to do the upgrade rather than have to reinstall all my software from scratch just to see if I wanted to buy Win 8 when it comes out.
    However, later it did finally install when I booted on the DVD and installed it from there. It was nice to be able to see that this is one OS I will not be upgrading to. I was not impressed one bit. This may be okay on a tablet but I'll stick to Windows 7.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.