Windows 8 passed compatability check but....

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by buckshee, Jun 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buckshee

buckshee Registered Member

I did a compatibility check for the Windows 8 Preview 4800. So I downloaded the 32 bit ISO. Installed it and after waiting the 30 minutes or so for the install to complete I was met with a screen that basically said Windows 8 wouldn't run on my computer and uninstalled itself.
    I then restored an `image' that only had Windows 7 plus Microsoft Office on. Again I had the same end result.
    Makes me reluctant to buy Windows 8 when it is released if the compatability program says my system will work then the OS doesn't
    Anyone else had a similar problem with the preview.
    Muy computer is 1 year old, Intel i2400, 4 GB Ram

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I think you're going to need the actual Windows install disk/ISO of Windows 7 (do NOT forget your license key!). You can't downgrade from Win 8 without basically wiping the disk. I don't think an image will help in this case, but hopefully I'm wrong (I haven't needed to go through this).

3. funkydude

funkydude Registered Member

Did you wipe it and do a clean install or did you "upgrade"? The latter is generally problematic with any OS.

I suggest you download the ISO and "extract" it onto a USB pen, then install it onto your machine.

4. buckshee

buckshee Registered Member

I just upgraded the Windows 7, once as the current system and second as a system with only Win 7 + Microsoft Office. I guess I could try just a clean install of the Windows 8 if the preview lets me do it. The upgrade certainly didn't work.
    I was hoping just to do the upgrade rather than have to reinstall all my software from scratch just to see if I wanted to buy Win 8 when it comes out.
    However, later it did finally install when I booted on the DVD and installed it from there. It was nice to be able to see that this is one OS I will not be upgrading to. I was not impressed one bit. This may be okay on a tablet but I'll stick to Windows 7.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.