Windows 8 or 10 ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by blacknight, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

What type of hardware wouldn't work? Most of the time I connect stuff via USB, like printer, PC speakers and external HDD's. I almost never replace internal components like GPU and SSD, but most will still work with Win 8, no?

2. lolnothankyou

lolnothankyou Registered Member

Windows 7 - not much crap and things to configure.
    Windows 8.1 - more crap and things to configure.
    Windows 10 - tons of crap and things to configure.

There are no drivers for Windows 7/8 for the iGPU in Ryzen 3 2200 / 2400.
    Intel is trying to artificially limit some of their iGPU drivers too.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

It's not necessarily - not work - but more sort of sub-optimal behavior if the kernel is not capable of supporting certain features.
    Mrk

4. Rasheed187

OK so you could get in trouble with certain GPU's. Reason I ask is because when I buy a new machine, I'm thinking about deleting Win 10, I have even already bought a copy of Win 8 on DVD. But to be honest, I'm probably too lazy to actually do it, and I'm afraid I might run into problems especially because nowadays you get those SSD+ HDD combo's, I'm not sure if they will automatically work with a new OS.

5. XenMan

XenMan Registered Member

I was in this situation recently with a Coffee Lake 8700K build.

I had Win 8.1, which I still prefer, on my old system with reviews that Win 8.1 would not run without lots of messing around and the possibility of failure on a 8700K.

So I decided to set up a dual boot of 8.1 and Win 10 before change over to the new hardware. Both worked, surprisingly, but the experiences of others varied.

My advice would be to set up a dual boot with Win 10 and Win 8.1. A dual boot should be standard anyway from a security point of view.

If you have good security you don’t need updates, and programs will run well with or without them.

6. Rasheed187

Do you think if I remove Win 10 and then install Win 8, it will automatically recognize both the SSD and HDD as a separate partition? If it's too much trouble I will probably buy a new Acer desktop with only a 512GB SSD.

7. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Even as a separate drive. I really don't get your question.

Fwiw, I like W8.1 a lot but perhaps you'd need like me a new start menu such as Classic Shell or StartIsBack+

8. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Can I use this question as my new koan?

9. Rasheed187

What I mean is that currently I have a C drive with Window 8 installed, I also have a D drive purely for data storage. So let's say you remove Win 8 and install Win 10 (or vice versa) will Windows automatically see the D drive?

I had to look up what koan means, but I'm guessing it was a dumb question, I'm a complete noob when it comes to this stuff.

10. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Yes it will, no matter what version of Windows you install.

11. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

That's correct.

12. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Of course it will but. Mind you, be sure to select the correct drive at install time or better yet, disconnect you data drive and leave the SSD connected only. Just to be sure.

I advise this assuming you are not an experienced user manipulating drives/partitions or reinstalling OSes, etc. Maybe I assume incorrectly.

13. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Well my comment was meant as a joke. We all learn new things each day.
    I agree with Mr.X and would also disconnect HDD before installing Windows on SSD.

14. XenMan

XenMan Registered Member

Not wasted here...funniest thing I heard all day.

I have always just duplicated the current OS onto a partition on a second drive with Reflect.

Instant dual boot, but make sure you clear the drive mapping in the registry on the second boot or it will get messy.

Install/update your other OS in the partition of choice if so desired.

Simples…

15. Rasheed187

OK cool, then there shouldn't be any problems. When I buy my new machine I will perhaps remove Win 10 when I really don't like it, and install Win 8. I will probably buy an Acer or HP desktop, if you look at the specs, Win 8 should work with all components right?

https://www.acer.com/ac/nl/NL/content/model/DT.BAPEH.008
    https://nl.hardware.info/product/459715/hp-pavilion-595-p0440nd-4uc75ea/specificaties

16. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Hmm I don't think so. Specially video drivers, you know M$ does not want any OS other than Winblows 10 /doh
    Oh and don't forget Win8.x won't update on new hardware. Especial tricks needed, lol.

17. Rasheed187

Did you look at the specs? I don't see why Win 8 won't work, I mean you can also buy these components and install them in older PC's, no? And I don't actually update Windows anymore, unless it's a super duper high risk vulnerability. Mostly because it's a waist of time and might break stuff.

18. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

What OS you see supported?
    https://www.acer.com/ac/nl/NL/content/support-product/7624?b=1
    https://support.hp.com/nl-nl/driver...pc-series/19390512/model/23116011?sku=4UC75EA

I recently bought this mobo for me to use Win 8.1 x64 on it. It says 8.1 is supported, all drivers installed but VGA/video, well that was a different story:
    https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-B250M-DS3H-rev-10#support-dl-driver

19. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Another of my few rigs was fresh installed with Windows 8.1 today.

Never seen a system snappier and yes that is in direct comparison to Win 10 too. I've made up the mind to go all Windows 8.1 afresh. Fact is my Win 8's have run for so long, so well, I had forgot what a fresh new install looked like and the performance gain to be realized. And since we're so video-security app test intensive on this end-(not to mention heavy net runs), it does a box good, and HDD for that matter, to erase the disk fully and lay on a new fresh overlay. Takes time to build back on all the programs but not really, maybe a few days-week at best to transfer useful additions-licensed softs etc. The drivers have always been a hunting game at times but you can learn to store those once everything is set and working as expected.

@Mr.X nice Mobo BTW if you can also have VGA-Video supported well enough. With marginal memory on this end and aging mobos it may be time to juice things up and build a high energy unit that will fully support 8.1 and refine this O/S to it's absolute fullest. There's room for much more.

Plus Windows 8-8.1 has a unique and very useful feature I have used time and time again without fail. Windows Refresh!! .WIM file-The Commands are...
    recimg /createimage C:\RefreshImage
    recimg /setcurrent C:\RefreshImage
    recimg /showcurrent

Make a shortcut if you like of C:\Windows\System32\systemreset.exe named Refresh if it's more convenient than walking your way thru the Control Panel or PC Settings Menu. Saves a lot of time and aggravation and virtually offers you a backup within a backup if you image often with your favorite backup programs.

To Win 10 users dismay, I would imagine all those many weekly updates as well as Microsoft's slippery slides of others that squeeze in unnoticed (or noticed) is bound to gum up a machine a lot sooner than it's life expectancy if you ask me. Not a big shocker.

It's all well in Windows 8-8.1 land these days and for the foreseeable future in fact. :)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  20. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

A couple of weeks ago my brother in law 'upgraded' to Win 10 from 8.1. His laptop is identical to mine, same make, same RAM, processor, HDD, etc. He's got a few different programs. I planned to give him a reasonable amount of time and, if all stayed okay, maybe put 10 on this thing.

This morning, he put 8.1 back on his. He booted up this morning and it stuck with the little circle thing doing nothing. After a minute, he had to physically hit the off switch and shut down and tried again. It stuck again. The third time, it booted into Repair Windows. Ran some sort of diagnostic, he said, and found nothing, so he had the option to reinstall windows from that screen or turn it off and try again.

He got his boot disk, his external hard disk and reinstalled Win 8.1 from an image he made before going to 10. So he's back on Win 8.1 and I'm staying on Windows 8.1. It works.

21. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I'm ever so suspicious of Microsoft anymore in their force-their-way business model with Win 10 that your reply almost confirms a deep suspicion I been encountering recently. It seems it's not enough just to delete the partition(s) and reformat NTFS, but I have found I had to do a total erase the disk job on a couple of HDD's that had Windows 10 on it previously, and i'm even struggling with one such disk I fear is going to have to hit the waste can. 2 erase jobs but seems the drive has some unrecoverable/immovable error that 8.1 CHKDSK /f /r is yet to fix. But that's ok. Will replace it since 10 will never come near a new one again. In the back of my mind is the suspicion that Microsoft has to have had some business connection with Intel and others etc to see to it it's Win 10 or none in their minds. :doubt:

22. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I've got the same AMD A-6 6310 processor. Quad core 1.80GHz as my brother in law. Not super powerful but more than enough to do what I need. I'm glad he bit at win 10. Sorry he had a bad experience. It was running okay, but he's like me. He wants his computer to work, and doesn't want to have to be screwing around with it. I think he'd even tolerate an occasional crash, if he could work to resolve them. When he turns it on, and it freezes halfway through a boot so he can't do anything but shut it off, that's not good. When it happens 3 times in a row, and then he gets a repair message that can't find a reason for the problem, that is the end.

23. ChrisFerro3

ChrisFerro3 Registered Member

I'm still running Windows 8.1 on my computer and works faster then Windows 10 and I have been noticing a lot, I'm happy using it. I only use Windows 10 in a virtual machine if I need it and that is rarely.

24. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

FWIW, installing anew Windows 8.1 again today courtesy another new HDD just purchased from the computer store.

So you can know, for this member/user, that is how much high optimism and confidence I've experienced with Windows 8. Windows in any version will always have it's downtimes so that's why I also added the Custom Refresh reference which was a super idea and feature they introduced in 8-8.1 which removes a lot of anxiety even if your HDD hardware or Mobo went toast on you. Matter of fact just when we were beginning to feel Microsoft was turning the corner and we accepted the TILES/STORE addition and update to 8.1 they seem to have skipped Windows 9 completely. I still can't wrap my head around that one but at least 8.1 is stable-solid-and workable from a user's/owner's standpoint on many levels.

I still envy you Windows 7 users though, having went from XP to 8 myself. There's so much satisfaction Win 7 users still relish and are quite pleased with and I don't blame them.

25. XenMan

XenMan Registered Member

8700K @ 5.1 GHz; Win 10 with drivers, Win 8.1(last update 1+ year) with generic MS.

Same numbers on Cinebench.

After NT from early 2000s, Win 8.1 is still favorite.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.