Windows 8 - Looks really awsome

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by aigle, Sep 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moontan

moontan Registered Member

yeah, i think it's on demand now.

anyway, i found IE10 has a new "Enhanced Protected Mode" which can be had in the Advanced options and require a reboot.
    more protection is always good.lol

it also now has an automated spell checker. cool stuff! :)

2. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

3. moontan

some programs seems to work faster.

BleachBit for example scans much faster.

Win 8 doesn't seem any slower than Win 7 and faster in some instances, like above.

video game performances are not as good but it's because I am using NVIDIA Win 7 drivers I suspect.
    no Win 8 drivers yet for my old 7300 GT

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I'd be worried if you experienced the opposite considering how much more efficient Win8 is over 7, they optimized performance a lot for extending battery life.

5. moontan

like I said, Bleachbit is remarkably faster on Win 8.
    I use that program quite often in Win 7so it's easy to tell in this instance.
    it's also easy to tell because I have an old dinosaur for computer. ;)

anyway,

it's the 3rd time for me I try Win 8.
    I wanted this time to try to set my prejudices aside and give it a fair try.

it's much better the 3rd time around. ;)

6. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Personally I find it easy to get used to when I'm only using it for <1% of my total time on the PC, taskbar pins are great! (it also gives me a common way of launching apps when swapping between Linux and Win) The start menu gets the less popular programs and the weather/calendar app that I don't need to open.

Before I'm burned to the steak: I realize everyone's usage is different!

7. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Windows 8 Will Live or Die Based on The Start Screen

Article

8. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I'll still wait until most apps are W8 "Metro" ready before making conclusions. :D

9. moontan

unfortunate because the Metro Start is not a big deal, imo.
    for me anyway.
    because I use it as often as the Start button on Win 7, which means rarely. ;)

if one doesn't like Metro it is easily avoided.

and I have uninstalled all the Metro apps because I am not using a tablet. lol

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Good article... This is more or less what I've been talking about for a long time. Thanks for that. More than anything else, Metro just simply "gets in the way" for anyone not using a touchscreen desktop or laptop...

11. moontan

I hope you have used Windows 8 yourself before coming to that conclusion! ;)

12. moontan

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2012
  13. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Stake. Not steak. One's wood. The other, if not burnt, is meant to be edible.

14. Noob

Noob Registered Member

After using Windows 8 for quite some time i think Windows 8 will be easily accepted by most users. The only problem i see it's for real power users. (Not me, i'm just another regular user :D)

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Of course I have... I've used each release they've put out. Same conclusion each time I'm afraid... And I know I'm not alone... We'll have to wait till it's being shipped on new machines to see how it's really received by the general public.. ;)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  16. moontan

fair enough! :)

hopefully M$ will listen to what a majority of people are saying and get some changes between now and the RTF.

not sure that's gonna happen though. ;)

17. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

I want a Start Menu, not a Start Screen.

18. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

"when I see the same members making the same (wrong IMO) point and jokes about the new OS and MS again and again. Looks like they are trying hard to manipulate opinions. "

Not me any more. I gave up because I saw my posts were disappearing even before the paint dried on the screen ;)

19. Tomwa

Tomwa Registered Member

Yay! More personal attacks! Thought we had a talk about this?

So here's the quote in question (I've even bold-ed it exactly as he did).
    I'm going to break his post down and explain WHY it's an attack by someone who really needs to take a chill pill.

So, let's break it down into WHY your above attack is nonsense:
    It's just an OS

Bamboozled? No, you sir fly in apoplectic shock the moment someone whispers distaste for Windows 8. Let me explain to you WHY you are crazy.

I have said positive things about Windows 8 (I can quote them if you'd like) but you have not ONCE admitted anything wrong with Windows 8. I am beginning to think you literally believe this OS version to be the messiah. I've got bad news for you buddy, we're going to use it (Or not), it's going to get old get thrown away. It will not cure cancer or go back in time and save the Jews from the Nazis. Sorry. Sane people can acknowledge that something isn't perfect and has flaws but you fiercely believe Windows 8 to be the butter for everybody's toast and any indication that somebody prefer strawberry jam or that the butter is too fattening and you hop on them like a crack addict that needs a fix.

Manipulating Opinions?

This in NO way suggests I'm "Manipulating opinions" (What does that even mean?), I have every right to make suggestions to others based on my opinions/beliefs, I did the SAME thing with Vista which turned out to be a tremendous flop (Who would've guessed). If I believe something to be unhealthy for the computing world I have every right to campaign against it. I'm not spreading lies I'm spreading OPINIONS. I have tried Windows 8's Customer Preview & Release Preview (I still have it installed in VMWare) and will try the RTM as well but I will not purchase an operating system I believe to be a waste.

Who admitted what now?

You sir have no idea what it means to admit something so let me define the word for you.

Admit (Verb): Admit means to confess or agree that something is true.

In order to have an "admission of guilt" a person must acknowledge an act as wrong and accept responsibility for it. What you're doing is interpreting guilt, you read my post and passed your opinion on as absolute truth. You can't witness someone say "Man I really hate pandas" and claim they're guilty of murdering the pandas in the zoo. Why? Because people have every right to dislike something and they have every right to share that opinion with whoever wishes to hear it. As my post did not meet either of the above requirements (Acknowledgment of wrongdoing or accepting responsibility) you really have no case.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Really? And can you introduce me to these missions of people who were queried regarding their opinion about the Ribbon UI by an unbiased third party?

No? Can you at least introduce me to one person besides yourself? I've seen lots of people against it and not so many for it so I really don't see your case.

Do you write pamphlets for Microsoft? You are really good at making opinions sound like absolute fact, I have not once seen:

1) Any list of proof that the Ribbon UI was a response to peoples distaste for standard menus.

2) Any evidence that the Ribbon UI actually was an appropriate response.

Neither do you? Posting a rationalization after the fact does not explain the original choice. For example:

1. Bill pushes a sleeping bear off a cliff ledge
    2. Wildlife officials question WHY bill would do this.
    3. Bill says he was afraid the bear would wake up.
    4. Bill made a claim it may or may not be truth, maybe bill hates bears? Maybe he thought it would be funny? The only reliable fact in the situation is that Bill would NOT want to be met with the consequences of his actions if he admitted wrongdoing.

The same goes for this specific situation. Microsoft DID something and then they made a claim to why the did it when people questioned it. Maybe it was a bad design choice (Microsoft Bob, Windows ME, Windows Vista, PlaysForSure, Zune, Azure, etc.)? But we can know for sure Microsoft wants to appease the uneasy reaction by whatever means possible.

I'm not "attacking windows 8" I did not drive a truck through a Microsoft office I expressed my distaste for the OS and made jokes I believe to be funny about things I believe to be true. Furthermore, I read the links you gave me and agreed on a couple points but posting a link cannot prove something right it or create a generalization about something but it can:

1. Show that a belief/opinion is held by someone other than yourself to help support a claim
    2. Offer details on a belief/opinion in a forum post without having to write a short story as a response in an argument (Do you see what you've done?)

As far as killswitch: I believe that it is a flawed mechanic that can and will be abused. I do not want patches after a vulnerability has been found in something that can affect my ability to work uninterrupted. All Microsoft did here was increase the Attack Vector by +1 for a feature that I will never need or use and refuse to allow me to remove it. I do not care what other people are doing (You cited other OSes that have it like Amazon or Google), I don't use my OS to be popular I use it because it works. If Microsoft continues to try and be Apple and Google it will lose what makes it Microsoft because Microsoft cannot be apple or google nor should it try to.

20. moontan

back on topic...

just read M$ announced their upgrade price.

seems like a pretty good deal.

http://www.ntcompatible.com/news/st...pro_upgrade_offer_for_most_windows_users.html

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, if true, that's a pretty cheap price for a Pro upgrade... not bad. But I still don't want it. :)

22. moontan

lol. ok. :)

i'm in it mostly for the performance gains.
    if it wasn't for that i'd have 0 interests.

23. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Isn't that obvious? :D

Microsoft and consumer choice... It's a fascinating subject, so here's some further reading. A 2009 report by the European Committee for Interoperable Systems (ECIS) titled 'Microsoft: A History of Anticompetitive Behavior and Consumer Harm' concludes that:
    -www.ecis.eu/documents/Finalversion_Consumerchoicepaper.pdf

24. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Microsoft lost their appeal on the fine from the European Commission. They have to pay $1.07 Billion per the court ruling. They cut Microsoft a break from the original fine of $1.12 Billion. :D

Take that and the $6.2 billion write-off for the acquisition of aQuantive and your are talking some serious change.

25. Tomwa

Tomwa Registered Member

Microsoft's policy on competition sticks to the following mantra:

"When in trouble, when in doubt, use your money and pay it out".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.