Windows 8 - Looks really awsome

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by aigle, Sep 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

I think it will be action based too.

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Sure... it doesn't matter to me what you believe or think.. And by the way, I didn't reply to your post in this last back and forth, you replied to one of mine again, like you usually do. Let's just agree to disagree, and leave it at that. You don't need to respond every time you disagree with a post of mine. I already know you disagree. No big deal... I don't feel the need to support every opinion of mine with a thousand nonsense links either. That's your thing. Not mine. I think we can all state our opinions freely here any way we like.....

Peace SPP....

3. guest

guest Guest

But I'll continue to respond whenever I see such POVs being stated lol. This release really needs some diehard supporters.

4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Been using Windows 8 for the last 2 hours, you know what i like about it. . .
    Finally Microsoft got their act together and made a smooth OS. :eek: :D :thumb:

It was unbelievable that with the current PC technology they couldn't make a smooth OS, I always knew it was because they were just being lazy and incompetent. (For such a big company and with the current technology)

As of now, i'm still learning and tinkering with Windows 8. :)
    Still do not like the tiles GUI but i do like the OS performance and actually the ribbon bar auto hides so that's a GOOD thing! . . . let's see how it goes.

5. moontan

moontan Registered Member

ah come on!
    if we forget about Metro for a moment the desktop part of W8 is virtually the same as W7.

what part of that is "smoother" than W8?

ribbon? who cares?
    'real' computer users don't use Windows Explorer anyway. ;)

about the tiles; it's not like a desktop user has to spend his whole life in 'Metroland' anyway! ;)
    you open Metro Start, run what you need and get out of there. lol

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  6. Tomwa

Tomwa Registered Member

The ribbon auto hides because Microsoft in a move of actual intelligence said "Wow, people REALLY hate this thing! We should hide it so they don't have to see it but, keep it around so we don't look like we're abandoning a horrible idea!".

Windows 8 is essentially Windows 7 with a shoddy touch based interface stapled to it with some minor performance improvements. Add to this the ability to Microsoft to systematically butcher anything it wishes with "Killswitch" and you've got yourself a painful excuse for an operating system.

Windows 8 should be codenamed "Facepalm".

7. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Yeah virtually the same but still there was a huge change . . . Metro.
    Everything, simple tasks such as opening Control Panel, UAC Prompts, Launching Programs etc. Now that i think of it, i forgot to take into account my W7 partition is kinda messed up with tons of software installed so that could be why i feel W8 is faster. :D :D HAHAHAHA
    Well i prefer Windows Explorer or some kind of shell instead of typing things through some kind of CMD. :rolleyes: (If that's what you're referring to)
    Kinda true, but still you start with Metro. :D

8. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

No, Win8 doesn't need an informal field advocacy group.

Win8 needs to serve the needs of the users. It will succeed or fail on it's own merits.

Look, it's an OS. A focus on the OS is on the wrong target. It's wrong when you consider Windows, it's wrong when you consider OS-X/iOS, it's wrong when you consider Linux, and it's wrong when you consider Android et al..

The application landscape drives everything since that is where the users time is spent, where their productivity is obtained, where frustration is developed, and where the user experience is molded. If the application ecosystem thrives, the OS thrives. If it stumbles, the OS suffers. There are certainly some aspects of OS operations that impact this, but they are generally second level details in that aspects of application functionality can be seamlessly supported, but it's the implementation in the application that makes or breaks the experience.

9. guest

guest Guest

You are probably right, but I feel a bit bamboozled when I see the same members making the same (wrong IMO) point and jokes about the new OS and MS again and again. Looks like they are trying hard to manipulate opinions. One of them (Tomwa) even admitted it recently in another thread.

10. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

That smells of slight OCD. You are compelled to respond.
    The power of Metro compels you! The power of Metro compels you!
    Just an OS, mate, just an OS.
    Mrk

11. guest

guest Guest

And what names you give to this?

12. guest

guest Guest

No, people generally like Ribbon. It allows easy discovery and use of features that sometimes already existed and were being requested because people didn't know where they were (they were confused by complicated combinations of menus).

Also, you have absolutely no idea on what they base their design decisions. Please stop making silly statements. Here is the reality: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/08/29/improvements-in-windows-explorer.aspx

I don't know why, but in your quest to attack Windows 8 wherever possible, you are ignoring the points I made. I think you lied when you said you would read the links I gave to you in another thread (the links that explained what is new and changed in Windows 8 ) and you are now refusing to get what the Killswitch is about as well.

13. Mrkvonic

That's OCD too. I have it too. Pretty much everyone in the tech field does.
    Mrk

14. guest

guest Guest

But to be diagnosed as having OCD, the obsessions or compulsions need not only to exist but also "cause major distress or interfere with everyday life".

15. Mrkvonic

I see major distress all over the place.
    Mrk

16. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

True, whatever happened to the days when an OS was intended to be a platform for running applications? They try to hard to be too much now.

LOL, I think you are right.

17. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

That's what i think either. Running applications, manage files, and system settings, as fast and efficiently as possible. The excessive emphasis in aesthetics, like i see IMO in Win8 and Ubuntu 12.04, take focus of what's really important: productivity. The same things that can be done with 1 or 2 clicks, in a clear and simple way, now takes more time and needs more "digging" in the O.S, in the name of the aesthetics. And the hardware resources could be used to make things even faster and efficient. That's regression under a nice skin, not evolution, IMO.

For instance:

The new Windows 8:gack:

the old GNOME desktop: "applications", "places", "system". Intuitive for almost everyone, and quite easy to understand and manage, fast and efficiently.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  18. guest

guest Guest

19. moontan

the same can be said for Windows 7.

beside Metro, there is nothing aesthetically different between W7 & W8.

except Aero which will go the way of the dodo bird for the RTM.

20. moontan

anyway,

does anyone know what happened to the 'F8" thing at boot.

seems like i can't access the Windows Recovery Environment (or whatever it's called on W8.)

thus no "Repair Your Computer" and Safe Boot and stuff...

21. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Could you try holding the <shift> button and shutdown the computer, after restart it will show the bootoptions.
    (system restore, system image recovery, automatic repair, command prompt, UEFI firmware settings, Windows startup settings)

22. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Yes, supposedly it "boots too fast" now (according to Microsoft) so they had to change it.

23. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

24. moontan

tnx m8!
    that worked very well.
    i held Shift + Restart and that worked as well.

this has improved over the DP; in the DP the computer had to reboot twice to get me a Windows Command Prompt at boot.
    now in the CP, it only boots once.

things i like:

- the Windows Recovery Environment is a lot more appealing visually and the screen resolution is increased as well.

- better integration of IE in the system:
    you can now capture web contents into note taking software and all the links and images will be preserved.
    unlike IE9 in W7.
    i had to use Chrome or Firefox for that before.

- Task Manager is very nice

- disk space used is slightly less than W7

i will play with this for a few more days and see where it goes.

one thing to note; .NET seems to have disappeared completely.
    good riddance, far as i'm concerned.lol

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  25. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I'm not sure if it's gone completely or not, but it may be that it installs on demand so to speak. For example, I installed Live Mail, and during the install, it also prompted me to install a version of .NET. Perhaps that's how it works now....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.