Windows 8 - Looks really awsome

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by aigle, Sep 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Hopefully, this was just a moment. I want to believe you understand the concept of tabs. ;)

Would you say it's the same to have Chromium/Google Chrome the way the tabs system work or to have different windows piled on top of each other in the task bar?

There is a difference, isn't there? Yes, there is. This something that is long due in Windows, natively. The same applies to Microsoft Office.

Instead of playing kindergarden with the Metro nonsense, Microsoft should make changes to Windows and their other applications that are actually worth, and that actually make sense.

But, I suppose this is what goes in Microsoft Windows development team nowadays:

PersonA: Iii realllyyy likee thiiiss Metrrroo thingg. Iitt'sss beaautifffull.
    PersonB: Yeahhh
    PersonC: Loookkk aaatt ttthhhoooseee ooottheer reetardds cccomppplllainninng aaabbouut Meetrro... Wwwhhaaatt aaa bbuunchh offf reetaardds... llloolll
    PersonD: Yeeahhh... Wwhoo neeedss ttaabbs innn Exxpllorrer... Ttheey'ree usseeelesss...

That's basically how they all talk there... o_O For coming up with Metro... they must be talking like that? Maybe it's a side effect of working to Microsoft. o_O :D

2. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Now that's funny. Needed a chuckle this morning.

3. moontan

moontan Registered Member

glad to help :)

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

In this spirit I'll add my voice to the chorus and say I hate this thing. I'm running it in a VM and have tried the Stardock Start Button app - it doesn't come close to restoring the lost functionality and undoing the confusion caused by the Metro UI. Many nontechnical users had trouble moving from XP to Vista/7 and there the UI changes were clearly evolutionary - it was essentially the same animal. I would never recommend this to all the ordinary customers I have who would be utterly lost trying to use it. I feel like I'm watching a disaster scene in a movie where things are happening in slow motion. There's lots of time to see it coming, but you know it's going to happen anyway LOL

5. moontan

and another thing, how hard would it be to add support for virtual monitors like other people mentioned in this thread?

this is something that would be best handled by the OS itself rather than 3rd party apps.

nevertheless, VirtuaWin is the best i have tried because it is open source, light and portable as well! :thumb:

http://virtuawin.sourceforge.net/

6. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Okay, another great program I knew nothing about. Thanks for this moontan!

7. moontan

no problems. :)

a cool quick tip is that you can click with the mouse wheel on any window title bar and send it to the virtual monitor you want.

8. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Thanks, i tried it and messed up the configuration initially, but i found my error.

Anyway, i also found this:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/cc817881

As simple as it gets, no configuration needed, exactly what i had in mind. Anyway, i found it thanks to you. I hadn't searched for it for years (i think i had found one in XP but was buggy).

Microsoft was too busy toying with Metro to include this natively...

I think MS should call 8 "Windows 7 Fun Pack" and charge it for 30 euros. Or "Win7 Cool Pack" or "Win7 Awesomeness Add-On" and instead work on Windows 9 to correct all her past releases and update the applications that already has and include some new utility. That's something the all would like to pay for.

9. Fuzzfas

:D I couldn't resist from making my own version. The secret behind the Metro design:

DevA: Ohhhhh, how coool is that! I 've tabletized my PC!!!
    DevB: Aaaah, cooool dude!!! I love it! I can't believe what you 've done with the thing! This is so unbelievable! It doesn't look like old Windows at all!
    DevA: Yeah, check this out! Now i can put my tablet next to my monitor and they look like a set!
    DevB: Wow dude, that's so awesome! Hey, let's put some more colours in that, make it funky!
    DevA: Oh dude, good idea! Let's keep it sober though, some people have the PC at work.
    DevB: I m cool with that. Uuuuh, ok, let's keep the main colour a serious green and then boost the wow factor with orange, red and yellow. Ok, some blue too for the old people.
    DevA: Oh man, you 're a genious! That's a kickass GUI! Makes me want to run Battlefield and frag 'em all! This is so sick!
    DevB: Yeah, you know dude, that's the first Windows that's not just like the rest! How about putting a fish for wallpaper?
    DevA: Cool idea! No more boooooriiiiing! And my girlfriend finds fish cute, i bet she 'll "thank" me. Yeah, the previous ones were made for grandpas.
    DevB: Yeah, finally, we get a cool version, I m gonna flash it on the Lan party this weekend, next to my tablet. I will put them side by side, the other dudes will be blasted.
    DevA. Oh, for sure! This is so out of this world! Can you drop by and give me a ride too?
    DevB: Dude, i am taking the metro, the case is too big for my bike!
    DevA: Oh dude, what have you just said! The Metro! That's just pure aweeesomness! That's how we ll call it! It takes you anywhere you want! Our GUI will be the "Metro!". It's catchy for old people too, they know the metro!
    DevA: Dude, we 're really good!
    DevB: Are you kidding me? We 've just trashed XP,7 and Tux, dude! We 're the best dev team EVAR!
    DevA: For sure, dude! Now i wish we could push this on TVs too. How cool would that be!

10. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

That's the real story behind Metro. :D

11. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

12. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Dear god above, for a moment I thought I was still in World of Warcraft. Here's what really happens inside MS:

Steve Ballmer: *walks in the meeting room and screams "Woo!", whilst sweat stains form on his shirt.

Team members: *eyes roll and hushed whispers commence* "Oh god, now what's he going to change on us?"

Any ol' way, Win 8 on a tablet, might end up being alright. Win 8 on a desktop is horrendous, very clunky. There's a reason MS is evidently "strongly suggesting" PC makers incorporate touch screens in their new lines. I'm sorry, but Metro is just a godawful piece of crap. It looks like the iPad and any one Linux distro had a few drinks, had a good time and ended up with a baby. Icons scattered about, and ugly as all get out.

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://www.techradar.com/news/mobil...indows-8-tablets-what-you-need-to-know-916134

15. Fuzzfas

My flatmate has a touchscreen on his PC. Never uses it. It's way too uncomfortable. If you have on a desk your monitor, how is it any better than a good old mouse to have your hands extended all the time in front of you? Unless you bring the monitor so close that you have your elbows on the desk, but then, with the monitor close you become blind. Some things just work fine as they are.

IMHO Microsoft knows that 8 will be a flop for desktops. Just like they know that businesses will never accept it. I think it's just a MS ploy to hook up teenagers and some brave pioneers so that they can later buy Tablets with Win8 on. I mean, if your potential customer, already knows how to operate the tablet because he had the same OS in the desktop, this gives you a competitive advantage. In other words, MS doesn't care about Win8 not being able to break through in desktops. She simply wants to increase her share in tablets, where she is getting a beating right now.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  16. tgell

tgell Registered Member

17. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I'm pretty sure there have been studies & research that actually proved that touchscreens are tiring & uncomfortable on desktop PCs, particularly being used over extended periods of time. I really can't see myself buying a touchscreen monitor ever.

I think that you are probably right! the cynic in me says that MS has made deals with manufacturers of screen cleaning fluid & wipes as well. ;)

18. Daveski17

19. Fuzzfas

Yes, i MS is capable of doing that. :D Anyway, yeah, i mean, Win7 isn't even at SP2 yet and MS releases 8.

Why care if it's a flop for desktop home users? They can stay with 7 until 9 comes out.

Why care if businesses don't want it? There is always 7 if they want to upgrade now and 9 if they want to upgrade in the future.

In the meantime, 8 is MS' best chance to increase her share in tablets. Get the geeks to learn Win8, shove it down the throat of some average Joes that will buy new PC which will come with 8 preinstalled and voilà, a new potential customer crowd appears for 8 in tablets! I wouldn't be surprised if from now on, MS does exactly that. One Windows "desktop version", the next "tablet" and so on.

Then with Win9 MS will get serious again and assign it to adult devs. :D

The only real danger for MS would be if there was a real alternative for the masses, but since Linux is always the land of the geeks that have several branches, each with different desktop and "no windows games" and the "if it's broke fix it through command line", MS can sleep happily knowing that the masses will still use Windows even after the win8 flop...

Anyway, i may try Linux one of these days if i get bored. It's been over 1 year that i haven't tried any. But deep inside i know that i will be back to Windows, where at the end, you can always click your way out of the trouble.

20. Daveski17

That's the point isn't it? Win 7 is surely due a service pack yet Win 8 will be released late this year.

I may buy a new laptop later this year. I'm pretty sure there will be a few left with 7 on them (I hope).

Sod it, I'll just wait 11 or 12 months & buy a Sony Vaio or something similar with Win 9. By about that time I reckon service pack 2 for Win 7 should be out.

The geeks will inherit the earth, so they say.

Yeah, there must be some devs over 13 years old, surely?

Oh, MS sleeps happily I reckon. Well, most of them probably have to be in bed before 7pm, after they've completed their homework of course.

I keep saying I will change to Linux, but deep down I'm a Windows addict as well. Point & click ... that's the way to go ...

21. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

More like click your way into trouble :D

22. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I take it that you've been there done that?;)

23. Daveski17

WYCIWYG? ;)

24. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Oh sure, somewhere down the line everyone has screwed up.

25. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.