Windows 8.1 Preview

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Jun 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barbenoire

Barbenoire Registered Member

It seem better than win8.0 But I cant get it to work in Virtualbox.
    I will check it later this summer on a real laptop.

Boot to desktop and the return of the startmenu are good news.

2. moontan

moontan Registered Member

there is no return of the Start menu.

you have to use ClassicShell, Start8, or something like that if you want a Start menu.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

https://blogs.technet.com/b/microso...choice-with-do-not-track.aspx?Redirected=true

4. moontan

5. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Experienced that problem so glad to see they have fixed it.

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Regarding the Start Menu and booting to the desktop there is more information here:

http://reviews.cnet.com/operating-systems/microsoft-windows-8-1/4505-3671_7-35798810.html

The return of the Start Button which includes Shutdown and search options plus the option to boot directly to the desktop will give Windows 8 desktop users some relief, but Classic Shell remains a more comprehensive solution. For those who don't already have Windows 8 though there's nothing in 8.1 that makes it worth putting up with the UI IMHO.

7. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

8. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Windows 8.1 review - Still stupendously stupid

Time to rant: I give you a long, thorough and honest review of Windows 8.1 Preview (Beta) edition, 64-bit version, tested on a T400 laptop with 4GB RAM and SSD, including installation with no easy upgrade option, mandatory online account setup, look & feel, changes from Windows 8, boot to desktop, Start Menu icon, Store, Task Manager, Startup items, tips on how to create local account, how to disable the Start Screen with Classic Shell, other privacy, security and consumer implications, future consideration, and more.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-8-1-beta.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Re: Windows 8.1 review - Still stupendously stupid

Totally agree 100% on your "important message to Microsoft", and I agree with your Conclusions. They need to wise up.....

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Absolutely and unequivocally spot on!

Because of MS pure ignorance and vacant claims it took me until windows 7 just to service pack 3 on XP Pro.

Looks like with 8 I'll be ignoring any SP's whatsover and rely heavier then ever on our talented freelance coders who eventually manage to "cut out the useless crap" in exchange for a much more productive and pleasant windows experience.

Why is it the richer a company becomes, the more total ignorance sets in?

11. NormanF

I agree. The Ford Edsel WAS a failure. And so will the Windows 8xx series of operating system be because Microsoft sees no point in listening to its customers. You have to do 2X as much work to benefit from your OS. Why bother? That's why I'm sticking with Windows 7 and dear readers - there's no compelling reason to upgrade. Tell Redmond to shove it!

Cheers!

12. moontan

there might not be compelling reasons to switch from Win 7, but Windows 8 is certainly much better than Ubuntu.

between the two, i'll take Win 8 anytime.

13. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Anyone tried MVPS hosts file on Win 8.1 yet?

14. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Why wouldn't a HOSTS file work?

15. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I totally disagree with just about anything you've written, and coming from a linux enthusiast, I'm not surprised. You talk about 'decency' from MS, well you should start by sanitizing your language and body language which have gone beyond any acceptable level of decency.

16. Victek

Victek Registered Member

There's a difference between rudeness and truth. I understand that you feel the blog is rude, but do you really feel there's no truth in what's being said? Given the extent to which computers have become a part of our lives it's deeply frustrating to feel that the company whose digital ecosystem you've invested in for years has created a radically different UI against the wishes of a great part of the user base.

17. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I would be inclined to rephrase it as <there is a difference between vulgarity and opinion>.
    Truth is defined as an indisputable fact, most of Mrkvonic's criticism revolves around the Metro UI which is more of a matter of taste, design, functionality. If you tell me that most Wilders members are against the new changes, it seems a predictable outcome as the average member is geeky in nature and loving anonymity, however it doesn't mean that this view is reflected by millions of potential Windows 8 users.
    Again, allow me to say that you are expressing an opinion which might be shared by a large number of Wilders members. There is a tendency from a lot of Windows users to relate to MS as if it were a sort of government non profit organization which has a duty to conform to its users base wishes... Well it is a bit more complicated.

It is very important and necessary to express opinions about a product which as you mentioned has become all too pervasive in our daily life, if MS made a mistake time will tell, but let's not be obscene about it.

18. Kirk Reynolds

Kirk Reynolds Registered Member

They're more diversified now. The consumer desktop os isn't where the bulk of their revenue is coming from. It's enterprise software from my understanding.

Let's be honest. If I was going to gamble and predict the future, I think I would say this:

All of this critical chatter will turn out to be just that, chatter, without any teeth behind it. Those that like their desktops and reject Windows 8 are the acceptable losses here. MS is still bringing in a lot of revenue. Win 7 will be known as the last Windows operating system that has a true desktop version. I don't think the abandonment of the traditional pc user is going to spell doom for MS either. They have their eggs in more than one basket.

That's not to say that I like their direction from my own perspective on things, only that that's how I tend to see it once the dust clears, at this frame in time anyway.

And that prediction tends to align somewhat with what Osaban is referring to when he's(?) comparing Wilders members here vs the masses. I think MS's reversal from their proposed Draconian measures concerning their next console version, for example, is because of what they feared from the masses in the face of the competition, from what I gathered anyway.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It would appear that MS is doing well and that they are indeed diversified enough to risk alienating a large part of their historical user base without being too concerned about it. And I think they have succeeded in doing so. I know I don't think much of what they've been doing. And I see nothing wrong with some honest criticism of them either. Windows 8 is not popular. I think Metro and the UI are indeed what's wrong with Win 8, and not just some minor inconvenience that people should get used to. It stinks.

But... a monopoly is a monopoly. They can do anything they want, and don't have to care, because for the most part, there is no viable alternative to Windows. How long they can do it and get away with it, I don't know. But I'd say they're good for many years at least. And since only a part of their business is Windows, they'll be ok no matter what happens.

Bottom line: Life sucks now for all of us who love Win 7 and wish things would continue in that same direction with further refinements. Oh well.... Life goes on. A few will use linux, a few will turn to Apple, but the masses will probably just accept what is given to them, and the situation will continue as long as MS wants it to. Too bad there isn't any true competition in this market.... things would a lot different then...

20. Kirk Reynolds

Kirk Reynolds Registered Member

I don't think that I'm finished with the criticism yet. Considering the stream of news that has been belching out of Redmond every week or so, I doubt that I'll ever stop totally. :D

If only. I'm hoping that the Linux user base grows a substantially bigger piece of the pie in the next few years. I don't have any illusions though, but it sure would help with software dev and hardware support all around.

21. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Osaban, I've tried Metro on a Windows phone, and it works great there. Yes.
    On a desktop, it's a failure, and there's no reason to sugar coat it.
    Mrk

22. moontan

so don't use Metro then.

i don't use it, therefore it doesn't bother me.
    problem solved.

anyway, you wanna see real failure?
    go play with Ubuntu and Unity for awhile. lol :p

23. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I completely agree with you, it is amazing how MS has imposed itself with its often outrageous prices as the world's dominant OS provider. Seems to me that the extreme fragmentation of the free Linux world has never really been a threat to their monopoly. Some years ago, it looked like Ubuntu was about to throw down the gauntlet at Windows, but nothing really happened in the end.

Gee Kerodo there is no need to be so pessimistic, Win 7 will be supported until January 14, 2020. A period of 7 years is very long indeed for an OS.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/products/lifecycle

24. NormanF

25. NormanF

Microsoft don't get the keyboard and mouse works for reason - NOT EVERY DEVICE IS A TABLET OR A SMARTPHONE!!!

I grant Metro has utility on such devices but for traditional desktop users its an uglified and counterproductive mess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.