Windows 8.1 outgoing firewall rules for Metro Apps

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by zerotox, Nov 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zerotox

zerotox Registered Member

Hi, guys,

After trying hard for a few days, I can't make out how to make outgoing rules for the Live Tiles in the Metro to update. When I click on an app, it connects out OK, but then when I click on the Start menu to see the tiles - they are not updating and doesn't show anything.
    Can someone help me with the outbound rules, please. I can't see exactly what process or service makes the connection for the Live Tiles to update.

2. alexandrud

alexandrud Developer

You need to create 2 firewall rules for this:

1. One for svchost.exe to allow outbound connections on remote port 443, TCP protocol and these IP ranges 65.54.165.0-65.54.188.0, 131.253.61.60-131.253.61.89.

2. One for wwahost.exe to allow outbound connections on remote ports 80,443 on TCP protocol.

3. zerotox

zerotox Registered Member

Thank you very much! I have tried these rules - found them in the Windows Firewall Control thread but still did not get Live tiles to update. I will try them again.
    I read that there has to be a rule for Windows push notifications but I can't find which process or service is responsible for that.

P.S No, still doesn't work even with those two rules - Bing Weather and Finance again show nothing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.