Windows 8.1 is available now

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Oct 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi Mohamed,
    I might try that as well, that is to uninstall Quick Starter and see what happens. I do think however, that given the fact that I enjoy having Windows 8, I 'm definitely not going to spend a whole week try to get Windows 8.1 if it is too difficult to install.

2. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Well people who think they can't stand the metro start screen in Win 8 and Win 8.1(now can be bypassed altogether) take a look at this.:D

3. Max29

Max29 Registered Member

I downloaded 8.1 yesterday and saw a white icon on the taskbar so I deleted it and to my dimize as I found out later it was Internet Explorer. Looked thru all of Microsoft cannot find a way to download Explorer 11, even tried to uninstall 8.1 ,no luck. Has anyone had this problem, need some help. Max29 Thanks

4. moontan

moontan Registered Member

go to the Metro screen, it's there.

from there you can click on IE and Pin it to the Taskbar.

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

If you're upgrading double check you power plan settings if you have changed them. You get reset to the balanced plan with defaults. I turn off fast startup because my machine boots without sounds and acts weird with that enabled and many startup things never start. :thumbd:

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Ima try it!

7. anon

anon Registered Member

With Windows 8 , the Power Management working normally.
    Yesterday, installed Windows 8.1 on my Desktop and am having problem with the Power Management.

Power management is not working correctly:
    The screen will dim and come black after the set amount of minutes but PC Standby never occurs. o_O
    I have the power management plan set to "Balanced".

Anybody else see this problem or is there a bug fix for this?

Edit 1:
    Seems to be a problem with the Ethernet Controller Driver (Qualcomm Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet / NDIS 6.30).
    The problem occurs when the Ethernet cable from router to PC is connected.
    With Ethernet cable disconnected, everything in Power Management is normal (sleep mode ok).
    With

Another PC with Windows 8.1 & Realtek PCIe GBE controller, everything in Power Management is normal (sleep mode ok).

Some workarounds mentioned here =
    -----------------
    Edit 2:
    Solved =
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2294671&postcount=109

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  8. superssjdan

superssjdan Registered Member

Glad to see some people are running 8.1.Being I get the 8.1 pro update for free from the windows store app,i tried downloading it numerous times,and it always gets to 50% then says installing,then restarts download all over again.I know of a great many people having the same problem,and the silence from Microsoft has been deafening. Waiting to see how long it takes Microsoft to come up with a solution.:thumbd:

9. moontan

Win 8/8.1 boots and shut down so fast i don't think Sleep or Hybernation are needed anymore.
    especially if you are using a SSD.

i have not used Sleep mode or Hybernation since i started using Win 8.

10. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I tried for the 3rd time to install 8.1 after making sure that my Win 8 is without any security and it's always the same outcome, at the very end of the process it says "finalizing" then there is a brief "Hi" and when one would expect to have the new Win 8 metro window, I get a persistent black screen...

That's it for me, I thoroughly enjoy new OS's, but this will have to wait as I'm now convinced that perhaps MS was a bit to quick to launch it, and should have had more beta time to test it.

11. moontan

have a look at this, it might help:
    http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/33238-just-black-screen-cursor-after-8-1-update.html

12. anon

anon Registered Member

o_O

1) What do you mean? To turn off/switch on the PC 1x times every day?

2) To leave it on continuously? Why the PC has to stay running for nothing?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  13. moontan

if i am going to be away from the computer for more than 1 hour then i shut it down manually.

like i said, it boots so fast with a SSD, i don't even bother with Sleep mode and such.

shutting down a computer completely uses less power than Sleep mode or Hybernation.
    which is probably more important for laptop and such.
    ----
    love your sig btw. :)

14. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Wow Moontan thanks, your link shows exactly what's happening to my computer and to other people who have the same model of Samsung computer with AMD drivers! You would have lost your last dollar if you had bet on my security being the culprit!

Anyways, it is good to know why this is happening, and I'm not so sure whether I want to follow their advice/solution as their situation was indeed desperate not having backup images to revert to Win 8. I'm gonna wait a while and let AMD get their new drivers out of beta. Thanks a lot once more for helping clarify this very strange behaviour.

15. moontan

hey, just glad to help.

i'm also glad i did not have to bet that dollar. :D

16. superssjdan

superssjdan Registered Member

Just an FYI. Microsoft has yanked the 8.1 RT update from their Windows Store due to issues a so-called "Limited" number of customers are facing. Time to sit on my hands and patiently await a resolution. One thing I am not, however, is patient:(

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  17. brihy1

brihy1 Registered Member

Updated to 8.1 and now can't use keyboard.in device manger has yellow icon next to keyboard(unknown device) and when I click update it finds-starts to install but says Microsoft encountered an error?back to Windows 8 I guess.

18. sportsfan7700

sportsfan7700 Registered Member

Fort Worth, Texas USA "Where the West Begins"
    Downloaded the Windows 8 iso to disk and scared to go farther. Scared it will wipe everything even though it's on a disk.

19. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Windows 8 is flawless. This thread is about upgrading to Windows 8.1

Best regards,

20. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Just installed Windows 8.1 on my work laptop. Running updates now. Need to get more familiar with it (for work).

Question and I do not want to turn this into an A vs. B discussion. I normally run ESET and WSA on Windows 7 PC's. Are both of these ok for Win 8.1? Please let me know. Feel free to PM me so we don't muck up this thread.

Sorry mods, I just need to get cracking on this machine. Cheers and thanks as always.

21. sportsfan7700

sportsfan7700 Registered Member

Fort Worth, Texas USA "Where the West Begins"
    Aladdin, I know but had issues going back to 7 so i'll wait. I will try 8.1 when more bugs are ironed out :)

22. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Hi SportFans,

I have installed Windows 8.1 on four machines. No bugs whatsoever. It is working flawlessly on all of them. Even Windows 8 is much, much better than Windows 7. It is more secure and faster.

Best regards,

Mohamed

23. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

24. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

No offense, but you can sit around hoping that Microsoft "comes up with a solution" or you can take 5 minutes of your time (just like the poster above you did) and actually research your issue.

One glance at your signature and I already know it's an issue with the software you have installed. You might also want to check the WSA forum before lighting the torches to burn MS. Make an effort.

25. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.