Windows 7 To XP Downgrade Rights Extended (Again):

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by wtsinnc, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I've seen a few places cover this and say that it's a smart move, because it gives holdouts more time. While I agreed with that at one point, I don't anymore, at least from anything but a financial standpoint. For MOST businesses, it's time to pull the trigger. For consumers, it's long been time. I'm all for having choices, that's never a bad thing, but at some point, something has to give. Microsoft has been very generous about this, imho, but, it's time. For goodness sake, in 2020 Windows 8 won't even be new anymore.

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yeah, but I bet good money SRWare still haven't fixed the back-button bug in Iron #87. ;)

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I really see no point in that browser now anyway, considering the privacy issue is lessened in the newer Chrome. But let's not wander off topic, lol.

5. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Businesses are probably reluctant to move to Windows 7 because of the associated cost in this bad economy.
    At least, that is a plausible reason if not the actual reason that (according to the article) 74% of business PCs are still running XP.
    Assuming that is accurate, at least a fair percentage of the remainder are using Server 2003 or 2008, and I'm personally familiar with two small businesses still happily employing Windows 2000.

I'm guessing the real percentage of business using either Vista or Windows 7 would be a combined less than 10%.

Perhaps Microsoft has received considerable push-back from major clients- corporate and government- enough to extend the window for XP by this much.
    Maybe they just don't see any wisdom in migrating to a newer OS.

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Cost is a very valid reason..for a while. Eventually lack of support and updates can end up costing time, which is just as valuable as money. I'd personally rather put up the cost to equip myself with a stable, secure, updated and supported OS, and not worry about future issues. Now, if Windows 8 came out next year, then it wouldn't be much of an issue, and, in fact, it would be silly to move from Win 7 to 8 that quickly. But, in the case of XP, I just can't see any really good justification for hanging onto it for so much longer.

7. Novastar 3d

Novastar 3d Registered Member

So dw426, What are your thoughts on the people that still use Windows 98/2000 ? lol

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

My thoughts are, why bother? I wouldn't hook a 98 machine up to the Internet if you paid me, and as far as Win 2k goes, it was a really good, stable OS, but XP/XP Pro are just as good fully patched, and XP is still supported thanks to this new move. It isn't just security, it's applications as well. It's getting harder to find Win 2k compatible apps, forget about 98. My opinion boils down to this, if you're on a home system that you just don't do much on or use for a specific purpose, I suppose no harm, no foul. But if you're doing a lot and surfing the net, think whatever you choose of me, I just see it more beneficial to use a more updated, safer system.

9. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

One reason for not upgrading has been overlooked, and its the reason I have not moved from XP to 7. If it ain't broke why bother fixing it?

I know my XP system does what I need it to and it does it quite well. Maybe 7 will do the same or a better job, but thats just a maybe. Some of the programs I am running are somewhat out of date (Lotus 123 for example) and while they probably will run on 7 thats just a probably. Besides, I really do not want the hassle of setting up and configuring a new PC with all my software and preferences.

I know I will be moving eventually, that will be when I buy a new PC and 7 will be fine as from what I read here and elsewhere 7 is a nice stable OS, until then whats working for me now is just fine thanks you very much. Of course this flys in the face of the article linked to in the OP as I would not be downgrading so maybe my post here is irrelevant.

10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

It wasn't overlooked really, XP isn't broke, and, for some, it does exactly what they need and no more. Everything I have said wasn't meant to say XP is terrible or so fully of security issues that just having it posed serious danger. Win 7 has just proven to be better in so many areas that, cost aside, there's no reason to not upgrade, imho. To each their own of course, just don't expect Microsoft to extend it yet again in 2020. At least God I hope not. At that point nobody has any more excuses.

11. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Understood and I appreciate your reply.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.