Windows 7: The Story So Far

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bigc73542, May 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I guess a new kernel was too much wishful thinking on my part :(

3. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Imo by the time 7 is out,all the trash talking of vista will become the good like XP is Now and 7 will be the new bashing OS.:cautious:

4. HURST

HURST Registered Member

So I guess that those stories about a new slimmed down kernel where just lies.... too bad... c'mon MS, I don't want to be stuck with XP forever!

(BTW, happy birthday bigc!)

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

IMO Windows 7 might actually be a better OS than Vista, though I use Vista now and am quite happy actually :)

It appears to me that the focus on Windows 7 is in performance and accessibility, which means Windows 7 would be an improved version of Vista that looks and runs better on older computers :)

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Let,s hope so.

7. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

And things like drivers will be more stable and perform better.

Vista has not met expectations on many levels, slipped release, number of features dropped, poor release reception, manufacturers complaints about lack of support to get drivers ready for launch, then compounded by other bad press Microsoft has had around and since Vista launch.

We will have to see it Microsoft can improve things, they have already stated that Open Source is a big threat (which is why they are starting to be more open about standards).
    #
    Its not all doom and gloom for Microsoft though, XP is still their old faithful, by the time Windows 7 is launched, Vista will have matured and as Windows 7 will be 100% Vista compatible people will have far less fears about upgrading.
    They have the foundations laid with Vista already, being able to spend time on optimising, GUI etc should make for the OS Vista should of been.

8. Dark Shadow

I agree, just like XP has become more stable and more secure over time.I had XP from the first release and though it was a great improvement over the never ending bugginess/crashing of windows ME.It still needed much work.That said like fine wine better with age.

9. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I'm about to show how little I know, but here goes :oops:. When they talk about selling 140 million Vista licenses. Do they mean 140 mill. individual retail licenses or do they mean to included in that number those types of licenses that are sold to OEM that they then load on to a ton of machines that you only get "Rescue Disk" for. I just don't understand the license counting because it is not something that I am involved with. It would seem they are counting every license even the OEM ones put on each machine. If that is true 140 million to me does not seem like very many for a dominate OS. :doubt: :doubt:

Does this mean many are holding back on buying Vista and holding to XP or what and now will hold out even longer for 7?

I am not approaching this from Vista sucks stay with XP at all. It is a matter of pure economics. What is the best way to go...hold off or buy Vista now. XP is working fine but it's life is short.:'(

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  10. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

thank you very much.:thumb:

11. Dark Shadow

To be honest, I really do not know how they count but for the most part, I think XP Is still the favorite here for many reason.Software maybe one, some are still not vista ready and to upgrade to vista from XP, one has to consider hardware Issues.Vista is demanding for XP will run well on minimum Ram.One Example would be 1 gig ram On XP would be very good however On vista would probably be just ok If That.I am currently running vista and I love it but I also purchase a new laptop that was built around vista such as three gigs ram and a 2 dual core.Now my previous laptop was only 1 gig ram max and had a celeron to upgrade that machine to vista would have been a disapointment.That said I am much happier with vista on my new lapy or maybe perhaps just because its New.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.