Windows 7 standby/sleep/hibernate/whatever question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Fly, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

It's a simple question for my Windows 7 desktop at home, and I'm not sure about the correct phrase.

A long time ago I decided that particular computer didn't need a password to log in. So that's one thing I never have to type.
    Whenever I stay away from the computer for a certain amount of time, it switches to a different state. When I go back, there is this 'sort of' login thing in the middle of the screen I have to click. It's probably clicking on the user name.

Two questions: what is the correct phrase for that 'state' and how do I turn it off permanently if possible ?

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

3. Fly

Fly Registered Member

@Minimalist ,

I did see the message in my non-English local OS. Using google translate, it appears it is indeed ´locked´.
    Thank you for the offered solution, I will try later.

No purpose at all ? Not even saving on system resources somehow ? I suppose, since the computer is on, probably not.

4. Minimalist

Screensaver might save some resources, but it would be better to put monitor in standby. Locking your desktop is only used to prevent unauthorized access. Without passwords access is not blocked.

5. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

you ALWAYS should set a password für users. although it seems not necessary it is for different kind of services within windows, eg sheduler.

if you want no login screen then use "netplwiz" (start > execute) and take your options.
    running a screensaver with password support there is no option to disable it. same for logoff where re-logon requires a password (IMO)

6. Fly

Fly Registered Member

@Brummelchen , I do not remember why I did not set a password. I think it had something to do with security settings/services. But it´s so long ago. Windows 7 ...

7. Fly

Fly Registered Member

@Brummelchen , @Minimalist , anyone,

If I use that screensaver, will that always allow computer programs/code to continue running or even starting (scheduled) with the screensaver mode ?

As for 'netplwiz': I'm not sure how that would prevent the computer to enter a 'locked' mode. Possibly, same question as above.

I had not gotten around to implementing this (yet).

8. Minimalist

Yes, it should. With screensaver locked option you are still logged on, so everything will be running with no problems.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.