Windows 7 sharing - folders ok, drives denied

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mrkvonic, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Here's a dandy tutorial explaining how to resolve the problem where Windows 7 shared folders are accessible but network drive access is denied by changing security properties and adding users, with additional tips on homegroup and workgroup sharing, router, IPv6 connectivity, firewall, advanced network settings, local policies, authentication methods, services, and more.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-7-share-access-denied.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I've struggled with sharing win7 resources since beta. It is quite frustrating. I don't mind that things are a bit more security minded, but in a home environment, its more restrictive than it needs to be IMO.

I used to have a short list of tweaks to make it easy to use the "Share with" context menu. I forgot where I put that, and have been too lazy to research it again.

Mark, I know this is about sharing drives rather than directories, but what did you find regarding the "public" folders? Is that something you like or dislike? Did you find any methods to use with those that help? I ask because quite often with win7 machines in a LAN, users I know get confused because of the public directories. For myself, I turn them off with some tweaks, but was curious if you had anything to say about them.

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.