Windows 7 Permissions

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by TerryWood, Oct 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi All

I need some help please.

My problem started when I tried to backup my Firefox Profile Folder and my backup software would not backup one specific file ie "signons-sqlite".

This file is the login password repository for Firefox password manager.

I then tried to copy and paste this file but I received the following message:

"File access denied. You require permissions from "ABCD\PC\ABCD" (exact name changed) to make changes to this file.

I have read extensively on the web about changing permissions on files and folders, but I seem to be going round in circles. The above user name is already granted permissions. So I am struggling.

I have tried the following Registry Tweaks which do not work:

Take Ownership

GrantAdminFullControl

Anyone help here please

Thanks

Terry

2. Sully

Sully Registered Member

It sounds like the best thing to do is to right click on the file, then security, then advanced. Verify ownership of the file and the users/groups who have rights, and what those rights are. Reg tweaks and scripts etc sometimes don't replace the GUI where you can verify who can do what.

Sul.

3. katio

katio Guest

one of the two should work:
    Open cmd, kill explorer.exe and do it from the command line (sorry I don't know the correct commands off the top of my head) or boot a linux live cd and copy the file to a FAT usb stick - neither Linux nor FAT care about NTFS ACLs ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.