Windows 7 or Windows Vista?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by nomarjr3, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nomarjr3

nomarjr3 Registered Member

Microsoft has confirmed that Windows 7 will be released roughly 3 years after Vista's consumer launch in Jan. 30, 2008.

Windows 7 will support a new kernel, codenamed "MinWin", a small of code that runs the operating system.
    It will run only 40MB in memory, instead of 2GB in Windows Vista.

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I read that same thing a while ago but from recent news it appears its not so. From what i've read recently windows 7 is based upon the same kernel used in vista and the system requirements will be the same as vista.

3. raakii

raakii Registered Member

So,will it be better than xp thats the question,
    Not many users like Vista, since it takes lots of resources.

4. farmerlee

I guess it depends on how you define better. If better means lower system requirements then i'd say no it won't be better.
    I've found that most people i put onto vista have ended up preferring it over xp, i find it provides a better user experience.

5. nomarjr3

You can onlly enjoy this 'better user experience' if you have an expensive high-end computer.
    Below-average income earners are not able to buy high-end computers, so many still use Windows XP. And many programs in Win XP does not function well in Vista.

6. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

Fixed.

7. nomarjr3

:thumb: :D

8. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

High end computers? You can configure a quad core with 4 gigs of ram for less than $500 at dell. That will run Vista like a charm.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  9. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

~Wait! You don't know what you are doing! Do not use reason and logic, that'll only confuse and angry the FUD spreaders even more! LOL :argh:

10. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Since Vista SP1 was released, no problems for me.

But when all issues are ironed out with Vista, why do people assume Windows 7 won't have the same learning curve? :p

And it wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft's marketing department are pushing the 'name' to bring the 'fans' back, while under the hood, it'll be all Vista. ;)

11. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Do you expect running Win7 in a box with 1 gig in 2 or more years from now? Of course you will need at least 4 gig of RAM. Just like XP used more resources than Win98 and Vista uses more than XP.

Oh, BTW, apps and games also tend to use more resources every year.

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i think you must of read that wrong. vista doesnt run 2gb in memory. thats impossible if that where true the minimum specs for vista would be 2gb and reccomended like 3gb.
    i think i read that the new kernal will use around 40mb of memory.
    the hard drive space for the base of the OS will be 1.5gb instead of 4gb which vista uses.
    windows 7=vista on a diet with a few changes.
    minwin is a smaller lighter kernal that will be used in all future windows operating systems.
    im hoping service pack 2 for vista will solve most of the issues.
    wonder if windows 7 will be enough to get companies to finaly get rid of xp?

13. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

Vista is better than XP, and you won't have to wait (given the inevitable delays) until 2012 or 2013 for it; it is here now.

14. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Vista certainly has some advantages. I am still relatively new to Vista having only used it for about 6 months but I certainly still feel more comfortable on XP. Bottom line there is not a whole lot of difference between the two imho. However, I may not be using Vista to maximum advantage.

I have to agree with the above poster you can get a good Vista machine with lots of "horsepower" for a pretty good price. If you look at my sig. the PC 1 set up was purchased for $750! This included a nice ink jet printer by Cannon.

I do get tired of wondering about programs...is this just XP or will it run on Vista. Let me read carefully...:doubt: :(

As for Windows 7...I got no clue just another reason for me to hang out around here to learn...;)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  15. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

I just hope that the programs that will work with Vista will also work with 7. At least I will be able to use half of my programs.

16. farmerlee

Not necessarily. I just got the family an AU $500 compaq laptop with vista and it runs very nice indeed. No problems handling the everyday tasks.

17. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I read somewhere the other day that MinWin was a testing bed and it will not be included in 7. It will rather be based on Vista's code as a lot of IT people who have reviewed Milestone 3 have seen hardly any difference between the two. I believe that a lot of people expecting 7 to run on turn-of-the-century hardware are in for a rude awakening (those who are skipping Vista for 7). Seven will be lighter than Vista as far as installation size but that is only because the exclusion of certain MS programs such as Mail, Photo Gallery, etc that will be replaced by Live Services which can be downloaded and installed.

Like Mercurie, my Acer Aspire M5620 only costed $750 (see specs in sig). I don't think it can be classified as a high end computer, lol.

18. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I got an email from Technet. Windows 7 will use the "MinWin" kernel. It will only use 40Mbs to run the kernel. All Windows Vista programs will be compatible with Windows 7. Its just using a more optimized coding in the the kernel that makes it so small.

Also Vista doesnt take 2Gbs to run. My Vista install takes less than 300Mbs to run at boot up and its not some hacked POS you can torrent. Its a legitimate OEM disc from Asus.

Also someone mentioned that not many Vista users like it. What I find is that 90% of the un-educated people that whine about it are the people who are expecting to run it with all the fancy glass effects and such on a computer that can barely handle XP. I have yet to meet a person who can handle Vista by more than doubling the recommended requirements to run Vista and them not liking the OS.

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I won't believe anything I read, hear or even see on 7 until it actually appears as a final released product. Then we'll know. I would guess that it won't be all that much different from Vista, given past history. But who knows.... I like Vista right now on my new machine, runs well, no issues really. But XP x64 runs faster and is snappier overall than Vista x64, on that there is no doubt. But I think Vista looks nicer and I like it generally speaking. I expect 7 to be more or less more of the same....

20. whitedragon551

They just had a tech conference where they took the Windows 7 beta (or what ever stage its in) for a test drive and what I posted previously is what they had so far. The conference was over $1000 to attend and get a copy of the beta. My guess is they are working on the bugs right now and a few changes here and there, but other than that the kernel and other software included is decided.

21. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Here's a site to bookmark or put on RSS feed. Archives are located on the right side of the page.

Engineering Windows 7

22. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

That is probably true. Too much confusing info out there right now and MS isn't helping it a bit. I read a post from a MS employee on Neowin who stated that MinWin is a test bed for a future OS that will replace the current NT kernel (according to Wikipedia, Win7 will be based on NT 6.1).

But then you read something like this, Does Vista already have Windows 7's new kernel? o_O

[EDIT: fixed link]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  23. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

It would be interesting to see how Windows 7 will turn out. From the screenshots I've seen, Windows 7 (milestones) looks just like Windows Vista right now so they're probably very similar. The MinWin kernel is nice, though I'd really like to see Microsoft dump the Windows Registry.

24. whitedragon551

Midway that is the email I got and the exact article I was reffering to.

They cant get rid of the registry. If they do there will be tons and tons of .inf files that you would need to create upon installing programs and edit by yourself to change settings rather than just going into an options menu and changing a few things and having them written to the registry.

25. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.