Windows 7 odd behavior

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by m00nbl00d, Oct 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I'll try explain the situation the best possible way I can.

I have in hands a laptop with Windows 7. I was placing an application, which I extracted its contents before hand, in Program Files dir. I don't know why, but I decided to take a look at the Security tab in the folder's Properties. To my surprise, the name of the standard user account was there and with equal privileges as an Administrator.

This should not happen. I guess (security) settings are all messed up. Has anyone encountered such behavior before?

I've come across this fix which restores Windows security settings, though not 100%. (secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose)

I'm wondering if this would solve it, though.

2. Sully

Sully Registered Member

A security template will set the rights prescribed. If you are placing files that the template does not know about, then it will not apply to it.

However, the parent directories that custom files live in may impact the custom files if the parent directories rights are to be propagated to child objects/containers.

If you know of a directory that has the rights you expect, you might be able to locate that in the template. Then you can add your own entry to the template with a starting point from the entry that you think has the right settings.

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.