Windows 7 firewall configuration

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by geohei, Mar 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geohei

geohei Registered Member

Hi.

Windows 7 firewall configuration is not as easy as I expected.

I have a particular scenario. I'd like to block a certain application from sending outbound traffic, but only one specific port.

My Network is "Private".
    I use IPv4 and IPv6 (Computer, router and provider support it).
    At the moment, I have the Windows 7 Firewall default settings selected (didn't touch after after fresh install of Windows 7)

How can I do this (step by step)?
    Or ... is there any guide how to achieve this?

Many thanks,

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  2. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

Start Menu (windows key on your keyboard) -> search & select "Firewall with advanced security" -> select Outbound rules -> New Rule -> Custom -> do what you need from there

One thing I don't know (and I don't want to boot right now to find out) is if global outbound rule outrules the application rules.

3. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

4. geohei

geohei Registered Member

@Wroll

Thanks. I know where to find the basic tools to create new rules.
    I'd like to create a new rule blocking a specific app on a specific IP/port.

@wat0114

I was tumbling over this thread already. The "problem" is, that it starts off by blocking all outbound traffic (for a specific profile - "Private" in my case). By doing so, the system starts not working properly anymore since default is to allow all outbound traffic. Network onnections are lost, Windows Update doesn't work anymore; even a simple ping becomes impossible. ...

Also ... let's assume I leave the profile to allow outbound traffic, then I block all outbound traffic for a certain app, the Event Viewer logs only rule creation and possible modifications. I don't see in pfirewall.log which app generated the "DROP" entry. So ... I can't assign a certain "DROP" entry to an app. This is necessary to see which IP/port the app uses in order to block it.

5. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

The following will work on Pro or higher versions of Win 7 so the logs will display what you're looking for...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754714(WS.10).aspx

6. geohei

geohei Registered Member

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  7. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

I used it for a while... here´s a simple tutorial.
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/17hMHcXpu82IJqd1doa5QykGIVaZLZD1k56qO511zqUE/edit?pli=1

The error you´re getting is probably because of the checkmark in the prompt , you have to untick.

8. geohei

geohei Registered Member

9. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Sorry for my poor English...

In the prompt that ask you if you want to allow or deny a connection, there´s usually a check mark in "service". According to my experience, you have to untick it, or else you got the error: "The corresponding rule has not been created".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.