Windows 7 and large fonts

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by xxJackxx, Mar 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Has anyone else used large fonts on Windows 7 and then switched back to normal size, and noticed that the PC is much more responsive with normal fonts?

2. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

No. But why should the PC be more responsive by just changing the font?

3. xxJackxx

That's what I am wondering but I have duplicated this on another machine. Setting the font size for Medium (125%) seems to noticeably slow the computer vs running them at the standard size. I don't know if one is expected to take a performance hit for larger fonts or if I have discovered a bug. o_O

4. Raza0007

Maybe the graphics card takes a little longer to render the larger fonts, but I do not see how this could be. Do the two systems you tried it on have discrete graphics or built-in graphics?

I will try this procedure on my home PC and let you know.

5. xxJackxx

One has dual Radeon 3870's in crossfire and the other has a single Nvidia 7300 GT. Maybe the system processes everything at normal size and then re sizes it before drawing it to the screen? Just a guess.

6. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Have you altered a current theme in any way that may have done this ?

Just a stab.

7. xxJackxx

Nope. Nothing changed except the font size.

8. Raza0007

I tried it on my computer and did not notice any performance degradation. I have Windows 32-bit installed. I do not know why your systems lose responsiveness; they shouldn't technically speaking. Maybe someone else can duplicate your situation.

By the way, it has been a while since I changed the font size on my computer and I really liked the way windows 7 displays the larger fonts. I will change the font size to medium on my parents computer, as my mom always complains she can't clearly see those small "things" (icons) on the desktop.

9. xxJackxx

I have 64 bit Windows 7 on the machines in question. 4GB of RAM in one and 8GB in the other.

10. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

just a punt, have you tried updating your graphics card drivers and disabling AERO?

11. xxJackxx

It doesn't appear to be a driver issue. It seems to be independent of driver version or even manufacturer. Disabling AERO is not going to work. It's ultimately not a big deal. I have changed my laptop back to regular fonts and the other user can live with it. Thanks for the replies. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.