Windows 2003 Dynamic Disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Jhoweth, Jan 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jhoweth

Jhoweth Registered Member

I just bought the server version of true image. I tried to use it and was greeted with a message that it does not support the disk.

I am using an Adaptec 29320 A controller not set as raid. Just downloaded the software so it should be the latest version.

Does it only support Basic disk ?

2. Tronny

Tronny Guest

TI Server supports 2003 dynamic disk, thats only for reading to an image file. When you restore, it'll be restored as a basic disk.

3. Jhoweth

The cloning does not work with Dynamic Disk. Since this is a system disk if I don't get the disk image the MBR won't be there so it won't boot!. At least that is my understanding. Just the image of the system partition is not going to do it.

When I select the disk to do the clone it says it does not support this type of structure.

4. Ozmaniac

Ozmaniac Registered Member

True Image Server versions can IMAGE Dynamic Disks, but they can't CLONE them. That should not present too much of a problem. If you take an image of the entire disk i.e. check the box beside the disk name, the MBR will be included in the image and you will be able to restore it. See this Acronis FAQ for more information.:cool:

5. Jhoweth

When I select Image it shows one checkbox for all Dynamic disk which is more than one physical disk.
    Under the Dynamic disk check box are 3 volumes that can be selected but this is 2 physical disks.
    There is no selection for an entire disk image.
    To quote the manual " You can not create an image of the entire dynamic disk, but only of one or more dynamic volumes"

I can't believe 860 bucks for something that is useless!
    What is the policy on getting a refund!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2006
  6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Okay, I used to think I understood what the deal was with TI and dynamic disks. But after reading this thread andthe FAQ, I do not. :doubt:

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Jhoweth,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

As it is pointed in section 3.5 of Acronis True Image 8.0 Server for Windows User's Guide, the current version of Acronis True Image 8.0 Server for Windows does not allow you to create an image of the entire dynamic disk, but only of one or more dynamic volumes. However, the ability to create an image of the entire dynamic disk will certainly be implemented in the future versions of a particular software, but exact time frame for this is not decided yet.

Please read more about Acronis refund policy here.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.