Windows 2000 cannot browse websites, and DHCP service won't start!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Comp01, Jul 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Ok, I was using the Services Tweak guide online (forgot the URL) and set DHCP to "Manual" and for the first time I tried to go online with my win2k box (I am using dialup) it dials up, authenticates, and says that I am successfully connected, I bring Mozilla Firefox up, and it says that http://www.mozilla.org/ cannot be found (The homepage I have it set to) so I try a host of other sites (yahoo, microsofts, msn, hotmail, here) and it all comes up the same, its like I cannot resolve the hosts IP's, I tried a ping on microsoft.com and yahoo.com got a "Unknown Host www.microsoft.com" and "Unknown Host www.yahoo.com" - so I restored the registry from before I messed with the services, still the same problem, go into the services and see that DHCP isn't running, I right click and go to Run I get an error message: "Could not start DHCP client service on local computer. Error 1068 the dependancy service or group failed to start." and, come to think of it I was online before (When I first got the PC) it had Norton System Works 2003 and I uninstalled it, I done a search and found a bunch of stuff relating Norton causing problems like this, but, I still cannot fix it, everything else works on the PC except for the internet! (I can connect, it says I am connected, but NO web pages load). How can I resolve this issue?

2. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Is the DNS Client service running? In case there are other missing service dependencies, you can restore the default win2k service startups per Black Viper.

Nick

Last edited: Jul 3, 2004
  3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I had that problem a while back and that is what was wrong. It couldnt find the DNS address. I had to manually put it back.==Winxp pro

4. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

if you can ping the ip of the domain, your net connection is fine, and indeed a dns issue.

at command line> ping www.yahoo.com

at command line> ping 66.94.230.50

if the ip works but the domain fails you have your answer (provided the yahoo webservers are up).

5. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

I got it working now, it turns out the dependencies were on the NetBIOS (I used NoShare from GRC.com) and thats what was stopping it, it is all working 100% now...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.